losing desktop until change screen resolution

robo456

5 posts in this topic

After playing around with my iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 install for a bit trying to get everything to work, I've come up with a new issue that I can't quite figure out.

When the system boots, the dock and top menu bar come up, but the screen background is a light blue with no icons or anything. Everything functions fine, it's just the icons (and background) aren't there. I thought maybe I had spaces going or something, but no.

What's wierd is that if I go into preferences -> displays, it shows at 1280x800 (which it should be). At this point, if i change it to 1024x768 and then back to 1280x800 everything comes back and all is normal. It will remain OK until I reboot then I have to go thru the same process to restore the desktop.

Anyone run into this?

Thanks for any info!!

--rob

I'm having trouble getting the desktop to appear normal with 10.5.5 too. What video do you have? Mine is the old Intel gma950 and works fine with 10.5.4. I get a flashing screen showing the normal desktop but is barely visible. I'll try switching resolution and see what happens.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with the GMA X3100 integrated graphics. I looked in the system profiler and I'm wondering even tho I 'thought' I loaded the right kext for it (I do have multiple resolution choices versus originally having just 1024x768) maybe it's not.

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x000c

Displays:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-bit color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Exreme: Not Supported

I have to check up to see if the X3100 can support CI/QE, but maybe that's some indication...

--rob

I tried switching res and there is no improvement on mine. I also tried playing a youtube vid and it stops after a couple seconds indicating a video problem there too. All works fine using iATKOS v4. Have you tried installing that on yours? I bet it works ok. I needed to check the X3100 driver and SATA support on a different laptop which works great!

After reading over a few posts in the hardware -> graphics subforum (and completely confusing myself), it looks like there's alot of people having the same or similar x3100 problems. I guess I'll have to read more up on the EFI and all that good stuff.

I tried downloading some of the 'pre-packed' KEXTs but they didn't work out as of yet...

-rob