install from usb key?

loopus

4 posts in this topic

Is it possible to install from an USB key instead then the DVD?

I know that is possible to install osx86 ON a usb key so i guess it should be also possible to copy the iso on it and make it bootable

I know there is a way to format the key with a program (hpusbf.exe from HP) and then install grub4dos maybe grub could load darwin or its too complicate maybe there is an easier solution...

I have actually tried this also, thru disc utility, by doing a new image and backing up the actual dvd to hd, then restoring the image to the thumbdrive but it will not allow you to actually do it to the main partition on the thumbdrive, only the drive on the thumbdrive. I am not sure if I am making myself clear here, but you can select the thumbdrive or the partition on it, ie, the logical drive, in disc utility only and only restore it to that instead of the actual drive. If you do the restore to the logical drive on the thumbdrive, it will not boot and instead just sit there....

Any body else have any suggestions on how to do this, as I am constantly hosing my leopard install, and having to impatiently wait while the dvd boots, is gettin on the nerves. ANY help would be Greatly appreciated!!!

:lol:

have you actually succeded in transferring the iso image to a hard disk partition and make it bootable? this would be already quite a result...as for the copy i think you dont need to use the disk image system you may try to use the command asr from terminal, but the problem is to making the usb stick bootable..

the program from HP (hpusbf.exe) format only in FAT32 and i dont think this would work...

• 4 weeks later...

I would search for BOOT-132 I'm working on something similar right now. You could put it on the first partition of your flas disk, flag for boot, and then "restore"/dd the contents of the iso to the primary partition and see if it'll boot. I don't know though. When I figure out more I could try to help. :P