my own boot123 CD

TCPMeta

3 posts in this topic

I tried the boot 123 and ran into problems. It didn't like my systems so I created my own.

System with 10.4.9

installed xcode 2.5

installed macports

Went into terminal

sudo port install cdrtools

while cdrtools compiled and installed I downloaded the Boot123 ISO.

Mounted the ISO. Went back into terminal.

mkdir /newiso

ditto /volumes/BOOT-DFE-146-BUM /newiso

rm /newiso/initrd.img

rm /newiso/isolinux.bin

nano /newiso/isolinux/isolinux.cfg

changed DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot --- /initrd.img to DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot --- /initrd.dmg

saved the file and quit nano

downloaded syslinux-3.72 from kernel.org. decompressed the file and went back into the terminal.

cp /Users/XXX/SYSLINUX-3.72/core/isolinux.bin /newiso

Went into Disk Utility and created a uncompressed 40MB DMG image with no encryption and read/write. Saved the file as initrd and placed it into /newiso

Changed the permissions to the initrd.dmg file.

chmod 777 /newiso/initrd.dmg

Mounted the new initrd.dmg file and also mounted the initrd.img from the ISO and ran ditto again from the terminal.

ditto /volumes/initrd\1 /volumes/initrd

Copy the modified KEXT files to the initrd.dmg file as well.

cp /Users/XXX/kexts/*.* /volumes/initrd/Extra/Extensions

Unmount all of the images and go back into the terminal. By now cdrtools is ready to go.

cd /newiso

mkisofs -o output.iso -b isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .

Make sure you have the period on the end. Load up QEMU and direct it to boot the output.iso that now resides in /newiso directory and cross your fingers. It's not a full boot but enough to know it works. Burn the ISO to a CD and test it out on a real system.

Thanks

Right now i'm playing with a few things. I want to build the CD so it has options to load diffrent kernels and such.

If you keep a eye on the post boot (After the initrd loads up) you see some quick test. If you're fast enough you can hit the pause key and you will see the following.

System config file '/com.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

If I can find out where on the bootdisk where the com.apple.Boot.plist needs to be I can do some wonderful things.