Installed OS X, now how the hell do I boot to it?

roflsauce

7 posts in this topic

I'm on a Thinkpad x60 tablet. It's got a bunch of partitions as it already had Vista, Ubuntu, Mandriva and a restore partition etc. before I started with OS X. I was able to install OS X to partition 6 but upon rebooting I'm just given the Vista bootloader. I got EasyBCD but can't seem to get OS X booting from there.

I booted to single user mode on the OS X disc and did "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0, flag 6" but it says invalid partition.

I'm really stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I booted to single user mode on the OS X disc and did "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0, flag 6" but it says invalid partition.

I'm really stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

Insert the DVD and boot from it. When you are the boot prompt (boot: ) enter "rd=disk0s6" (without the "") and hit the return key. I am not sure whether the Chameleon (or any other) bootloader supports booting from the sixth partition but you can try it ofcourse.

Chameleon Bootloader:

indirect link Download Chameleon-1.0.11-installer.zip and install it on your mac partition. After that remove the DVD, reboot and see what happens.

The OSX86tools (download it, you'll need it sooner or later) from ~pcwiz can also be used install a bootloader.

I don't think this can harm your data but a backup is always handy :angel:

I did do a dd of the drive before I started messing around. :angel:

I'll give that a shot. Probably worth mentioning that the Thinkpad has no DVD drive so everything I'm doing involves booting from USB HDD with the image on it.

I'm just not sure how to install Chameleon or else if I can't boot to OS X.

try posting the lines before the hang

also, try booting the osx disk and not hitting anything when it asks to hit any key to boot. most will time out then boot you into the first osx installation it finds. Not all install disks do this, but its worth a shot.

Hmm..

IOPCCardBridge::start failed

AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled

Debug driver registered: AppleUSBUHCI

Extension "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDrive" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0

Still waiting for root device

Ah, a little before that

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOService</string><key>BSD Name</key<string ID="2">rdisk0s6</string></dict>

Heh, I deleted another partition and installed OS X on there. Still saw the same problem, but then I tried rd=disk0s3 and that got a registration screen. Turns out that works for disk0s7 too. Nice.

Now I'm getting the looping Registration screen, working on fixing that...

o.O got it to boot. Now to try and get hardware working...