PowerBook G4 AirPort Dead

11 posts in this topic

My roommate has a PowerBook G4 that has been handed down from his older sister. He doesn't care for it too much and has dropped it a few times (this might be why). Now, he cannot connect to the wireless network because his AirPort Express cannot be detected. After looking in the System Profiler, no information is displayed about his AirPort card. Any suggestions?

Personally, I believe he needs a new AP card. He doesn't want to spend the money. He does own a USB wireless adapter by Linksys. Could we use that? If so how could I configure it?

First, calm down if people cannot reply as fast as you'd like.

Second, if your friend is in need of a new AP card, I might suggest you try this amazing site. Be quiet about it though; don't want everyone to hear about it. It is called eBay. And they have this amazing feature called 'search' where your friend can even look to see if there is a card for sale.

I find it astonishing how people misinterpret simple words for emotions and then act like a child. But instead finding the easy way out of a solution, we decided to try and find a simple DIY solution.

Since eBay and sarcasm are the best answers you are capable of, I'll wait until another mature and experienced poster responds.

Thanks and have a great day! :censored2:

I don't know, man. I could go either way on the sarcastic/sardonic thing.

But back to the topic:

What happens when you remove the AP card and re-insert it?

What happens when you try the USB adapter?

We tried removing and re-inserting the card but it still does not recognize it. I also tried to remove any dust or particles before re-inserting it.

The light on the USB adapter does not light up when I plug it in. Nothing really works.

We tried removing and re-inserting the card but it still does not recognize it. I also tried to remove any dust or particles before re-inserting it.

The light on the USB adapter does not light up when I plug it in. Nothing really works.

That's a toughie. Is it a known-working USB adapter? Try it on a Windows machine, and if that works, then I'm guessing it's just not OSX-compatible. You'll have to check around on the forums (fora?) to see if anyone else got it to work.

Good luck

I have no idea if it was working previously.

I sold my PC and made a complete Mac switch months ago. I could tried and use Parallels though. Would that work?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with my PowerBook G4.

After dropping it I thought the airport card was broken as it wouldn't work.

I assumed I would have to get a new AP.

But there may be another solution that you have over looked.

Sometimes the AP gets slightly disconnected after a drop.

Take out the battery and open the airport latch. Then give the airport a solid push.

If you have removed the AP completely, when you go to put it back you have to make sure it slides in all the way and then when you feel resistance, like it has gone as far as it can go, you then have to give it the solid push. There is probably another 5mm of distance to travel and there will be a clicking feeling at it properly engages.

As I said when the computer is dropped the airport can get disconnected. It will appear to be in place but it isn't.

This has happened to me three time over the past few years.

Hope that helps.