Help: Unable to boot

night_rider

4 posts in this topic

My original install was Kalyway 10.5.1 I believe. I've upgraded to 10.5.4 over the past few months. The only issue I had was that my most recent upgrade screwed with my QE/CI. Other than that running fine since January or so.

Immediately prior to being unable to boot I took three updates in Software Updates. I'm trying to remember but they were QuickTime and two others; maybe a Java update. They were not the 10.5.5 system update. Oh I believe the other was a Security Update. Anyway after I reboot from the update I'm unable to reach the login screen. I get the white Apple and eventually the Apple hourglass equivalent stops moving.

I've tried booting -v, -x -f, and -s. It shows that it's freezing somewhere after the NTP daemon loads but my reading leads me to believe that is not the issue and it's actually a kext loading after the NTP daemon that's freezing the system.

I'd sure appreciate some helpful suggestion where to go from here. I have a project that must be completed by Saturday and I can't boot except into Vista. It's a video project and I'd rather use the Mac. If I can't fix it in the next day or so I'm going to overwrite a new distribution.

In advance, thanks.

Are you asking for the hardware configuration?

Asus P5KE

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33 GHz

4 Gb Ram

500/160 Gb SATA drives

Lite On SATA DVD RW

Toshiba IDE DVD-Rom

GForce 7900 GS

My guess is that security update wrote something that won't allow me to boot now. Appreciate any help.