Developing WiFi Driver for OS X

osx_developer

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am new to OS X, trying to study the WiFi driver code. I understand that OS X provides WLAN Protocol Stack, but the Oper Source driver uses many 802.11 related files from Linux Code. Which means it uses OS X's 802.11 protocol stack and some functionality from Linux Code. Is this correct ?

- What functionlity/code from Linux is used and how much from OS X protocol stack ?

Regards,

It's really hard to find help on this forum. The problem is that there's so many people wanting help and not enough people wanting to give help or able to give help. You're going to have better luck taking the source to a linux driver and porting it to os x.

I am new to OS X, trying to study the WiFi driver code. I understand that OS X provides WLAN Protocol Stack, but the Oper Source driver uses many 802.11 related files from Linux Code. Which means it uses OS X's 802.11 protocol stack and some functionality from Linux Code. Is this correct ?

- What functionlity/code from Linux is used and how much from OS X protocol stack ?

What open source driver are you talking about? OSX inherits a lot of its network guts from FreeBSD. That's where you should be looking. There is virtually no Linux code involved at all in any OSX driver.

I am talking about the open source at http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

This code is ported from Linux, it includes many files from Linux's 802.11 stack.

I understand that Apple does not provide any support/documentation for developing WiFi drivers, that is the reason this open source has Linux code in it. But what I don't know is how much of Linux codes is used and how it gets linked to the OS X's network stack.

What open source driver are you talking about? OSX inherits a lot of its network guts from FreeBSD. That's where you should be looking. There is virtually no Linux code involved at all in any OSX driver.