The NX9420 Thread

lizkin

42 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm struggling a while with my HP NX9420 and want to share my findings with you.

The most drivers I found here in this forum, thanks a lot to all!!!

Maybe here are some other NX9420 users around who can discuss...

1st of all, I'm using a NX9420 with C2D 2,17Ghz, 3GB Ram, 1680x1050 Display in conjunction with JaS 10.5.4

Following things are working/working not:

- C2D Unfortunatly still only on one Core...

- Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet working nearly perfect. Just have to insert my macadress manually with

"ifconfig en0 ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" (or better a shellscript does that for me)

- Bluetooth working OOTB

- Wlan not working

- PC-Card TI - working

- Firewire - working OOTB

- Graphics ATI X1600 - working on 1680x1050 but without QE/CI :-/

- Sound - working (without input/output)

Cheers,

Sebastian

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

atix1600nx9420.zip

PCCard_1.zip

AppleAzaliaFixAD1981.zip

Hi,

its really simple...

just create a new textfile with your favorite editor and insert:

#!/bin/bash

sudo ifconfig en0 ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

then rename it and change the permission to be executable...

In terminal you do it like this:

mv /path/to/your/textfile.txt to /path/to/your/textfile.command

chmod 755 /path/to/your/textfile.command

the .command extension is used for execute it via double click.

anyhow find my one attached, but insert your macadress and check the permission on your computer...

lizkin

ether.zip

• 1 year later...

Hopefully someone out there can provide some insight on this....

I've got my NX9420 working with iDeneb 10.5.6, but for the life of me, I can't get successfully upgraded to 10.5.7 or 10.5.8.

I downloaded the iDeneb 10.5.7 Combo Update, but it keeps complaining that it can't validate the install package. I dl'ed it from several different machines and copied it over to the 9420, with the same result every time. Same thing happens with iDeneb 10.5.8. Tried Apple's Software Update based on comments by a few, but no dice (had to reload).

I then downloaded iDeneb 10.5.7 Full Install, but it gets most of the way through the install, and then stops with the "Install Failed" screen.

I'm starting to think this machine just won't work past 10.5.6.

Anybody else with a NX9420 who could share their experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Mike

• 7 months later...

What does mean "working with iDeneb 10.5.6"?

Work both cores?

Graphics cards going at full resolution with qe/ci?

Can be more specific? I have an HP NX9420 (core2duo 1.8Ghz, 2Gb RAM, ati x1600).

It's an good idea with thread dedicated to HP NX9420.

• 2 months later...

Finally i did it! HP NX9420 working with 2 cores enabled!!!

This fix may also work for other NXxxxx series with centrino duo..

My cpu is T2500 2.00GHz

dsdt patch needed

just replace that value with 0x46:

Name (C000, 0xFD)
   Name (C001, Zero)
   Processor (_PR.CPU0, 0x01, 0x00001010, 0x06)
   {
       Name (C002, Zero)
       Method (CSTH, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
           If (LEqual (C002, Zero))
           {
               Store (One, C002)
               Store (Zero, \_SB.C003.C004.C005)
           }

Store (\_SB.C003.C004.C006.C007 (), Local0)
           Return (Local0)
       }

Method (INI, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
           If (LAnd (And (\_SB.C008, 0x01000000), LEqual (C009 (), 0x04)))
           {
               \_SB.ISMI ([color="#FF0000"]0x46[/color], Zero, Zero, Zero)
           }
       }

Method (PPC, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
           Return (C00A ())
       }
   }

Processor (_PR.CPU1, 0x02, 0x00001010, 0x06)
   {
       Method (PPC, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
           Return (C00A ())
       }
   }

also here this line added:\_SB.ISMI (0x46, Zero, Zero, Zero):

Method (_SB._INI, 0, NotSerialized)
   {
       \C009 ()
       C01C ()
[color="#FF0000"]\_SB.ISMI (0x46, Zero, Zero, Zero)[/color]
   }

sometimes it hangs at the very begining, if you did a hard shotdown previously(pressing pwr button for 5 sec)

otherwise it boots and works fine!!!

I'm interested. I installed iAtkos v2 s3. I could boot with both cores, but I had an error "AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM", with consequences on the speed with USB and detection of bluetooth device (not detected). If we start with a single core, no longer had this error. What situation do you?

Which distribution you use?

I use Retail Snow leopard DVD 10.6.0 and then updated to 10.6.4 .

You're right that fix broke usb 2.0 speed.

I used to have iopcifamily.kext fix for usb 2.0 to work properly now not working , either with original iopcifamily.kext

we should try another fix for usb 2.0 or maybe patching dsdt a litle bit more..

fixed also the usb 2.0 problem!!;):D

Firstly install the vanilla iopcifamily else you will get kernel panic.

then patch the dsdt HPET part as here:

Device (C21D)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
                   Name (C21E, 0xFFFFFFFD)
                   Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       If (LEqual (C21E, 0xFFFFFFFD))
                       {
                           Store (0x00, Local0)
                           Store (\_SB.C09F (), Local1)
                           If (LGreaterEqual (\C009 (), 0x04))
                           {
                               If (Local1)
                               {
                                   Store (0x0F, Local0)
                               }
                           }
                           Else
                           {
                               If (Local1)
                               {
                                   Store (0x0B, Local0)
                               }
                           }

Store (Local0, C21E)
                       }

Return (C21E)
                   }

Name (C020, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
[color="#FF0000"]			IRQNoFlags ()
                           {0}
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {8}
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {11}
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {15}
[/color]
                       Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
                           0xFED00000,         // Address Base
                           0x00000400,         // Address Length
                           _Y0B)
                   })

4 IRQNoFlags () and you will get usb2.0 back with both cores enabled!:rolleyes:

Edid:On some machnes this section is a litle bit different. just go before memory32Fixed part and paste this IRQNoFlags()...

• 1 month later...

Thank you for working on this! :D

I can install Snow Leopard on my nx9420, but it will only boot from the Chameleon/boot-132 CD. If I install Chameleon on my harddrive and boot from there it always freezes at some point, depending on the kexts included in /Extra. I also entered your suggested modifications into my DSDT, but still no luck. Are you using plain Snow Leopard (vanilla)? Which kexts do you have in /Extra/Extensions? Do you have your dsdt.aml in /Extra/Extensions?

I have it working to a degree. Hope this helps:

Got retail Snow Leo installed using a boot-132 CD. Then used that to boot the first time after install. Then installed the 10.6.5 update combo from Apple and rebooted using the boot-132 CD.

Used the DSDTSE app to edit my DSDT according to above instructions.

Downloaded and installed RadeonHD.kext with Kexthelper. Deleted ATI1600Controller.kext (or it will crash during boot).

Downloaded and ran myHack_installer_1.1.mpkg.

Installed AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext (from the MyHack_installer) using Kexthelper.

Deleted everything in /Extra/Extensions except FakeSMC.kext.

To get sound working I installed AppleAzaliaFixAD1981.

The internal wifi does not work. Instead, I am using a PCMCIA-card (D-Link). I got that working with a special IOPCMCIAFamily.kext that I found here: http://www.mediafire.com/chunnan#1,1

(Just drop it in /Extra/Extensions)

In /Extra I have this:

com.apple.Boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

smbios.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MBP21.88Z.00A5.B08.0802291403</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookPro2,1</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>W123456W0M</string>

</dict>

</plist>

dsdt.aml goes in /Extra

The nx9420 is now useable, except you need to use PCMCIA based or USB based wifi. Using both cores the system may crash unexpectedly or freeze during boot, so I usually boot with cpus=1

Sleep does not work. If you close the lid the display crashes.

I am running retail 10.6.5 with all the latest updates (using the system Software Update).

Good luck. :)

Thanks for reply!

Can you upload all files needed to install Retail Snow Leopard?

Especially your boot-132 CD and dsdt.aml

I found a working wifi driver for Intel® PRO/Wireless® 3945ABG.

Supports 802.11b and 802.11g networks

Supports open (no password) networks only

Does not support WEP or WPA encrypted networks

It is in attachments.

Hope it work!

VoodooIntel3945_06.zip

Thank you for posting the driver. I have attached the sl boot132 disk, dsdt.aml and dsdt.dsl.

Because the boot disk is bigger than the 10MB limit the zipped archive is split in two using the UNIX split command. To turn the files Netromaa.zip and Netromab.zip into the folder Netrom, paste the following in a terminal: mv Netromaa.zip Netromaa ; mv Netromab.zip Netromab ; cat Netrom* | tar -xvpzf - -C . ; rm Netromaa ; rm Netromab ; rm _MACOSX

(A folder named _MACOSX is also created for some reason, so I added the extra delete command.)

Upgrading to 10.6.5 breaks stuff. The two right side USB-ports and Bluetooth stopped working. Also, if you forget to delete the ATI1600Controller.kext after upgrading your system will not boot.

Netromaa.zip

Netromab.zip

I'm finally installed Snow Leopard on HP NX9420.

Ati x1600 Mobility works fine with ATI HD framebuffer driver, but only 32 bit for now.

Driver is in attachments.

I changed my Wi-fi to Broadcom BCM94311. So now it works out of the box.

If somebody want it I can send a link. This seller has couple for 9$.

It is original HP card so you don't need to worry about whitelist for HP.

It should be part number 407107-001.

I'm busy now with exams, but I hope to make Card Reader work and try Voodoo driver for Sound Card.

So, to be continued...  

P.S. Thank you Netrom for boot-132 CD and dsdt files!

RadeonHD.10.6.x.kext.zip

Yes, VoodooHDA driver works just fine.

VoodooBattery fix battery problem...

VoodooPS2Controller fix my Trackpad scrolling (Now I can use two fingers or special area at right side (like in windows) to scroll). Don't forget to delete ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext if you have them.

Drivers are in attachments.

Still, to be continued...  

VoodooPS2Controller_0.98_installer.pkg.zip

VoodooBattery.kext.zip

VoodooHDA.kext.2.7.2_10.6.zip

• 8 months later...

Hi,

nice thread. I am trying to install snow leopard in:

Notebook: HP Compaq nx9420

Processor: Intel Core Duo T2400

Graphics Adapter: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256 MB

I tried with neotron's 132 boot disk, I have kernel panic in the first boot after install.

with the original 132 boot disk I can't even end the installation part.

-Neotron, ¿is it a custom 132 boot disk for your specific nx9420?

-Ostrom, ¿how was your installation of 10.6?

¿what should I do? I am stucked in JAS 10.5.4 :( with one core.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey,

Thanks to lizkin, xristos, and netrom for getting the ball rolling. Xristos - many thanks for the DSDT patches. Thanks everyone for the help and for uploading your files.

Wanted to update you all on my success/failures, so that maybe it can make it easier for someone else out there tinkering with their old laptops.

Dual cores isn't very stable on this machine, like you guys said. The DSDT patches help with the CPU and USB so... when it works, it's great, but when it doesn't it won't boot. Not a big deal, just power down and try again I guess. I find that the biggest problem (if you do a similar procedure to me) is the ATI1600Controller.kext that OS X automatically installs. I had to enter single user mode after every install try and manually delete that and ATISupport.kext from /S/L/E. Then it will get past the boot and into the Setup Assistant. The RadeonHD kext that ostrom posted worked perfectly for the Mobility 1600. Just install it with kext helper, reboot and full QE/CI and resolution. Awesome. The trackpad and keyboard are hard to get working too. Keep a USB mouse and keyboard around. But the weird thing is that without a proper DSDT, and if you try booting with cpus=1 the PS2 kext won't load. So you're in for a fun experiment with DSDT. I didn't know what I was doing with DSDT before this project.

I didn't bother with the card reader so I have nothing to say about that right now. But I installed voodooHDA and got full audio support.

The wireless sucks, but I appreciate the help with that. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I'm probably going to buy an Atheros or Broadcom on eBay, if I care that much. Ethernet works great too, actually, if you follow lizkin's method of changing the MAC address of the card. I created a .command but also added it to my login items, so I don't even have to think about it ever. It just splashes up a terminal window at boot, does the command, then closes (I added "killall Terminal" to the text, because I am THAT lazy).

I also set it up as a Windows 7 dual boot but we're not talking about that here are we.

I always try and use the latest build of chameleon. You can find the installer and there's even an app called Chameleon Wizard that helps you download and install the latest build (if you get the internet working), customize the boot.plist, apply themes, etc. I used the Chameleon installer because you're able to tell it to do a standard install, not to the EFI. Also, you can apply the "resolution" module to get the correct chameleon boot up resolution.

I couldn't install any combo update. I tried 10.6.8 and verbose shows no errors, except that the login screen doesn't load. The logs in console show a few crashes related to dylib or something. Can't figure it out but I have 10.6.3 so it's good enough I guess. I made a custom chameleon boot CD with the kexts and patched DSDT, in case I screw anything up. I'm going to try using that boot CD with Lion too.

You can't use restart from OS X. You have to shut down, and power up manually. Other than these hiccups, it's pretty impressive what we've accomplished. Good job guys. I'll keep trying and posting if I make any new discoveries. I hope you guys do as well.

Thanks.

If I make any progress with Lion I'll post it.

See ya.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: This thing works really well now. Put a Broadcom wireless card, a hacked Bios to skip wifi whitelist, and put an SSD instead of HDD. Here's what I did...

First of all, if I didn't make it clear before, I used a custom boot CD to get into the retail 10.6.3 installer. Just make sure you boot to the installer in safe verbose (-x -v at chameleon prompt). It's because of the ATI1600Controller.kext. Boot in safe mode again even after the install is done. Or better yet, after if it's finished and before you reboot from the installer, open terminal and delete that one and ATISupport.kext so you can jump into OS X smoothly. What I did was first format the partition outside of this laptop (connected the drive to my MacBook Pro via USB) and put the DSDT.aml and SMBios.plist before I put it back in the laptop. That way when I boot after the install, the system is stable from the get go. I'm using a MacBookPro2,1 definition. It seems to work better than any SMBios later than that one.

Anyway, after you're in OS X i suggest enabling root user and doing the rest of the work from that account so that permissions and ownership isn't so confusing. Make sure you turn off auto login or else you'll accidentally get into the default user. Ok so I had a lot of trouble getting 10.6.8 update to work but I did a few workarounds so now the machine is up to date, stable, and has no panics anymore - so far. You can install RadeonHD.kext before the update because you'll find you won't be able to get to the desktop in 10.6.8 without it. You'll notice that the update installs a bunch of new kexts, one being a new ATI1600Controller.kext. The new kexts have our graphics card dev id built in to them, but you need RadeonHD.kext to inject it right. The other problematic kext is IONDRVSupport. I don't know why, but all you have to do is keep a copy of the previous version (I had one from 10.6.7) and replace the 10.6.8 version using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] or something. So, replace IONDRVSupport.kext with old one, and install RadeonHD.kext. You'll notice that after updating to 10.6.8 everything runs unbearably slow, network doesn't work, and System Profiler doesn't show the monitor. ALWAYS refresh the kext cache when you do any kext hacks, so use -f at boot prompt to do that, otherwise the other kexts will continue to load. Again, I don't know why, but all I had to do was replace Apple80211Monitor.bundle in the System/Library/SystemConfiguration folder with the one from 10.6.7 and all of a sudden everything worked perfect after rebooting. After you're in 10.6.8, don't try to install the 2011-006 Security Update from Software Update because it will break the install. I concluded that it's because it installs new versions of IOGraphicsFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext. You won't notice it's broken until you reboot and you can't login to OS X anymore. I am looking into the issue but I think you're safe to just stay away from that update for now. Other than that, it seems to be working great. I actually bought a Broadcom BCM94322 from eBay and rebranded it to Apple Airport in Linux, so I now have WiFi working out of box. The only obstacle was hacking the BIOS to accept any card in the Mini PCIe slot. I found a guy that made an edited version of the latest BIOS installer that skips the wifi whitelist check. You have to run that installer through Windows though, then you can replace the Wifi card with anything. That Intel 3945 sucks, and there isn't any progress on an OS X driver so I gave up on it. You can find a Broadcom on eBay for pretty cheap, and it has Wireless-N so it'll be faster than the Intel anyway. The other thing I noticed is that I didn't need to run the command to change the MAC address of the ethernet adapter anymore either, I think because I loaded the kext for it at the installer with my boot cd. So maybe that has something to do with it... or maybe updating, I don't know but it's all good. If anyone is still working on this project and need help finding the files I mentioned, let me know.

Hackintoshing is just a hobby. I still buy and use genuine Apple products. I just have fun with challenging projects. Rule of thumb: Never trust a Hackintosh.

PS: I don't think Lion will ever work, I can't get to the installer, just black screen. It's probably because the hardware resembles a MacBook Pro from 2006, which definitely won't support Lion anyway. Oh well, no big deal.

Later.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've been using leopard with iatkos for two years with a short 10 month break for a silver, nvidia based macbook pro that ended up in flames recently.

it was running one core x1600 qe/ci (no external output), garbaged screen after closed lid, no wifi etc.

So it is my time to come back now setting up hktosh again - this time on nw9440 (which is pretty the same as nx9420), with nvidia quadro 1500m, 4 gigs of ram, T7600.

So far I've managed to install vanilla system with 10.6.8 update (multiboot/chimera bootloader), got full qe/ci with external output (since the card is worth around $50 I recommend you to get it and leave ati x1600 and its problems...).

Issues to solve:

- slow USB, right ports not working,

- slow disk operations (30mb/s),

- no ethernet

- no wifi (i'm gonna change to atheros or similar)

- no idea about pcmcia slot yet,

- no idea about card reader,

Anyway, up to now it scores around 100 in xbench (looks like disk performance lowers it a lot), is quite stable and works beautifuly with 2 cores enabled thanks to DSDT mod posted here :)

cinebench cpu 1.28, opengl didnt give results, but started with some errors.

• 3 weeks later...

disk issue was solved a bit by installing new, faster harddrive. now I get around 60mb/s in continous uncached read, unfortunately scores in random read test are way below 2mb/s? it still lowers overall xbench result. similar results anyone?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

comankha,

Your slow disk performance resembled my problem after updating to 10.6.8. Check my post above for the workaround I found. It has to do with network plugins and some other kexts, so you should use the ones I mentioned from 10.6.7 and do not install the 2011-06 security update because it overwrites the workaround. My system runs awesome, not that I really use it but it was a fun project. Let us know if you make any progress.

Also, about changing the wifi card - be aware that you'll need to flash the bios with a hacked version that doesn't check the wifi card's compatibility. If not, HP won't let you boot.

Now i get around 60MB/s with 7200 seagate drive. Test was done with Blaskmagicsdesign's Disk Test, what was interesting that the very same benchmark don on my friends i5, 2009 MBP pro shown around 40... okay, with stock 5400 drive but... gotta love nx/nw series a bit more now :]

It still feels a bit underpowered compared to win xp benchmark (other partition, same machine), HDTune rates the disk at average 80MB/s (peaking ovet 100MB/s @ times). i'd be glad to see your results.

What concerns me the most now is lack of usb2.0 though and two inactive ports...

post-594856-0-20291700-1326847258_thumb.png