iTunes 8 and Quicktime 7.5.5 Crash

huttonhenrysfinest

5 posts in this topic

not exact the same thing, but same behavior.

installed quicktime 7.5.5 and itunes 8 and now both crashes during startup...

i tried to install both apps with pacifist from the install dvd(which worked before ;>) and the issue is NOT gone.

uhm folders/files was itunes app self, quicktime self and the components from quicktime.

might be a amd only problem with quicktime 7.5.5 , isnt it?

When i had tiger iTunes suffered a crash when updated to 8.0

i used this solution

ok... so after a few tests using barn's script i got a fully working 10.4.11 with absolutely no errors!

1. Barn's script has only one problem some Applications & Utilities are not installing where they should, some Applications are put inside /Applications/Applications an some Utilities are put inside /Applications/Applications/Utilities

2. I saw no problem with those applications so i deleted them all except Safari 3 whom i moved where it should have ben all along /Applications

3. Now after the update we all have 3 major problems:

a. About This Mac - crashes

b. System Profiler - crashes

c. iTunes Prefferences - crashes

Now here are the steps i used to repair these problems:

IMPORTANT NOTE i backed up my original kernel just to be sure so you can do that by doing this:

step 1. open terminal do "sudo -s" enter your password

step 2. go to the root of the disk then "cp -R mach_kernel mach_kernel_old"

step 3. install the patched files for 10.4.11 do the steps described below and reboot if the system doesnt boot you can try to boot with this argument "mach_kernel_old"

step 4. if you succeded in booting with "mach_kernel_old" then do this open terminal do "sudo -s" enter your password, go to the root of the disk and "rm -rf mach_kernel" then "cp -R mach_kernel_old mach_kernel"

-------------------

a. About This Mac - open the original DVD used to install the system (in my case JaS 10.4.8) with Pacifist go to the AMD package find the loginwindow.app right click "Install to default location" entered the Administyrator password and moved on

b. Downloaded SPPlatformReporter then added it to /System/Library/System Profiler/

c. iTunes - open the original DVD used to install the system (in my case JaS 10.4.8) with Pacifist go to the AMD package go to /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ then right click CarbonCore.framework select "Install To Default Location"

d. Do a Repair Disk Permissions from Disk Utility

e. Your done try to reboot to see what you have accomplished

i have some ideas but i need some help from someone who knows how to build an install package!!!

Ok people so it seems no one offered to help.. no problem i managed myself you just need to download this Install Package 10.4.11.AMD.Repair run it do a Repair Permissions and you should be just fine...

I tested the package on my system it works 100% hope it works for yoy to if not tell me what kind of problems are you having with the package and we will try to fix them..

i need some feedback so please tell me if this works for you or not... Thank you

located in this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=71972&st=60

Fancy giving it a go first? im still setting up time machine ;)

after this step:

c. iTunes - open the original DVD used to install the system (in my case JaS 10.4.8) with Pacifist go to the AMD package go to /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ then right click CarbonCore.framework select "Install To Default Location"

leopard dont want to boot anymore. tried some boots but nothing... reinstalled the hole system...

thanks anyway ;>