Broke my 10.5.5 installation

ChineseGuy

3 posts in this topic

Background:

I was searching for a sound solution that will work with my current system. I got a USB creative 5.1 sound card, and it works great on my Macbook without having to install any additional kext.

Plugged it in my hackintosh, couldnt get it to work (turns out to be the USB cable), but it was too late when I finally figured out it was the USB cable. I have already installed a kext pkg found on this forum for SB USB sound (which was really meant for Tiger, not Leopard)

Sound sorta work, but couldnt get mic in to work, but mic in works fine on my Macbook (on 10.5.5)... So I figured it must have been that kext pkg I installed.

What I did:

I restored my Kext to a prior backup I did last week. Without realizing, that was before I did 10.5.5 update, the kext backup was back when I had 10.5.3 I believe. (And I was an idiot and didn't backup my kext before I restored to my backup)

So now, I boot up my machine, and I get the apple and the wheel gray screen. Then it will go blue for a split second, and then to a black screen with a mouse cursor.

I can move the cursor fine, but I cant get to the login screen, the screen just stays black with cursor.

Any ideas what I can do to fix my dumb mistake...

What I've tried:

1) Replaced the extensions folder with the backup, following by a repair permission

2) boot with -x -v -f flags

Update:

1) I booted with just the -x flag, and it booted into safe boot, but how do I get it so it can come up on normal mode

Once booted into leopard using -x (safe boot) option you can try installing the 10.5.5 update again. This will bring your kexts to the 10.5.5 version. Or if you have a backup of 10.5.5 kexts then install them using -s option (single user mode) at boot.

Once booted into leopard using -x (safe boot) option you can try installing the 10.5.5 update again. This will bring your kexts to the 10.5.5 version. Or if you have a backup of 10.5.5 kexts then install them using -s option (single user mode) at boot.

Yea, I am actually in the process of reapplying the 10.5.5 combo.

Fixed by reapplying the 10.5.5 combo update. That got my kext back up to 10.5.5 compatible.

Thanks!

Mod can close thread