Mac/Windows TV Tuner Card?

GRardB

11 posts in this topic

So I've got a Windows Vista machine with OSx86 (LawlessPPC). I'm wondering if anybody out there knows of any non-USB TV Capture devices or hardware? Firewire is alright, but I really want something I can put INSIDE my PC (using PCI or whatever). I'm not too educated about software/drivers out there, and I'm sure that 3rd party support for devices is more important than the devices themselves when it comes to non-USB.

Please help me ;)

Thanks,

Gerard

Well, after doing some research, I'm checking out HDHomeRun. Apparently it uses ethernet and is compatible with Linux, Mac, and Windows. I'm just confused...Can I simply hook it up to my cable box and watch TV? I see all this stuff about "free digital tv" and "what channels will I receive?" so I'm confused.

It looks good though...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=2018

There is a bt8xx.kext as part of xtv

I'll definitely check that out.

Here's something that's been bugging me, guys. The reason I didn't want to get a USB TV tuner or video capture card is because before I got ethernet working on my Mac install, I was using a wireless USB adapter. Every time I downloaded something big, my mouse started going crazy (my mouse is an MX Revolution which is wireless and USB). My guess is that too much data was passing through the USB port because of the downloading, and it was screwing with my mouse.

Would the same thing happen with a USB tv tuner or video capture card? If not, I wouldn't mind getting a USB tuner at all, because that was my only fear.

Thanks,

Gerard

I use a pinnacleHD for mac tuner. Cost about $140 at BB. It also works very well with windows all you have to do is go to the site and download the windows version of the software. Downside is, not a card, its a usb deal.

I'll definitely check that out.

Here's something that's been bugging me, guys. The reason I didn't want to get a USB TV tuner or video capture card is because before I got ethernet working on my Mac install, I was using a wireless USB adapter. Every time I downloaded something big, my mouse started going crazy (my mouse is an MX Revolution which is wireless and USB). My guess is that too much data was passing through the USB port because of the downloading, and it was screwing with my mouse.

That happened with my mouse/Apple keyboard it is connected too in my case it was a USB key screwing it up external drives worked fine in combination with it. I had to change the port the cable was plugged into and the problem went away, you may want to see if this helps if it happens again.

Would the same thing happen with a USB tv tuner or video capture card? If not, I wouldn't mind getting a USB tuner at all, because that was my only fear.

Thanks,

Gerard

Never happened with mine a Hauppague 950 black edition (PC version) it works great.