10.4 Install in VMware.. Close, but so far away...

crowt

4 posts in this topic

I'm installing JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 PPF 1 under VMware. My CPU supports SSE2, not 3. I have the latest VMware Player (the config was originally created under Server, I added some lines as per the VMware tutorial, got horribly sick and tired of Server's web interface, and have gone with Player. I digress a little..) I've disabled sound and the network interface. I've used fdisk (and even newfs, though I think it matters little) to create a couple default partitions. I've tried guest OS types as WinNT, darwin and freebsd. I've burned the ISO (and used Alcohol, same results).

It boots, though not without errors (no AirPort drivers, something for USB isn't found, but USB is disabled; nothing that halts the boot). It opens a graphical screen and I pick a language. It then says it is 'preparing installation' with a rotating thing and after a bit of DVD access, it stops with a "problem":

f1xul5.jpg

It isn't always that exact error, but similar. If I had to hazard a guess, I think it may be to do with the display. I also could have sworn I read somewhere that using VMware you're stuck using a 640 display, but this is opening a 1024 screen. Perhaps that is only after install?

Once in a blue moon it will actually get to the installation screen and even once got to see the install hard drive step, but it's like a time bomb and ends up dumping a crash log to the console and returning to the GUI and hanging, or even shutting itself off. I seem to get the furthest when I use the boot options -x -v -s (I've also tried -legacy I saw somewhere) and at the shell prompt I "sh /etc/rc" (that's from memory, whatever the command is to boot but stay in single user mode). I think what sort of gets me is that it isn't entirely consistant and seems it should be.

Any help or is this doomed?

For what it's worth, I've tried it without even an IDE hard drive setup, every boot option I can try, even fiddling with PCI bridge settings in VMware and it fails in the same way every time. I'm not at all sure what could cause this. It almost seems like bad RAM (yet my XP host hasn't problems at all, and I've tried everywhere from 256 meg VM to 1 gig, 2 gigs in the host) since it stops in nearly the same spot, but not quite.