Franks Corner

Kane Adams

7 posts in this topic

See, this is why I can't run Linux or even Mac OS X full time...

I really don't understand the point of using Wine or Parallels to run my Windows apps. If all my Windows applications that I need run on Windows, and every other thing I do has a good application for Windows (instant messaging, web browsing, etc.). Why would I run Linux or Mac OS X and use my normal applications for the usual stuff, but have to run Parallels or Wine to run the Windows applications I need?

This seems logical to me, and is the only reason I haven't switched to Linux full time. Am I wrong? Am I not looking at it the right way?

SDRacer48

I know the feeling. I have 2 Windows apps I can't do without, at least until I finish a certain job.

Plus I have a Chess Game I love but I haven't been able to run under Cedega. But I hope the next Cedega supports it.

Plus right now I have to use Windows, because I am on dial-up (long story).

See, this is why I can't run Linux or even Mac OS X full time...

I really don't understand the point of using Wine or Parallels to run my Windows apps. If all my Windows applications that I need run on Windows, and every other thing I do has a good application for Windows (instant messaging, web browsing, etc.). Why would I run Linux or Mac OS X and use my normal applications for the usual stuff, but have to run Parallels or Wine to run the Windows applications I need?

This seems logical to me, and is the only reason I haven't switched to Linux full time. Am I wrong? Am I not looking at it the right way?

Nope. You're right, if there are programs which only run on Windows that you can't get away from then there really is no point in switching. You are locked in, might as well face it. ;)

Though I have to say that VMware Fusion is kickass.

But for what most people tend to do with their machines though, Linux or OS X should work just fine.

To be honest, every time I use Windows I just can't wait to get away from it. Not sure what it is.