Settings Go Kaput After Reinstall!

alicizmar

1 post in this topic

This is far from the first topic I've made and won't be surprised if this one falls into oblivion as well. :D

But aside from a couple of niggles here and there I had a nicely fuctioning Kalyway 10.5.2. Then after experimenting with some videos kexts to no avail I decided to replace the Extensions folder with one from a Time Machine backup to speed things back up to before I went fiddling.

Go me, I managed to instead replace my Extensions folder with an empty one! Result? A hosed installation. I tried like heck to put the folder back but kept getting "folder not found" errors. So i gave up and reinstalled Leopard. I had it copy my data from the Time Machine backup. In the process, it managed to lock up. I shut off the computer the old fashioned way then rebooted.

It managed to restore NEARLY all of my settings. Nearly, mind you. But now, the Taruga AppleHDA patch that made my ALC889a audio work beautifully no longer works worth a flip. I'm stuck with the basic Azailia one that doesn't accept mic input.

Also, no matter how many times I reinstall Flip4Mac, it won't come up in Firefox, either. Firefox just complains I need the plugin I already installed.

I'm gonna try restoring the backup again. This installer-does-not-affect-system-properly thing is just strange. Here are my specs (again).

2.6 GHz AMD Athlon X2 5000+

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (ATI HD 3200 + ALC889a)

1 GB RAM