10.5.4 ComboUpdate issues?

mbebop

3 posts in this topic

hey guys,

I'm on an Inspiron 1525, got all the way to 10.5.5, then broke my installation trying to restore some kexts. I'm starting over from 10.5.2 and working back up, no problems getting to 10.5.3 using kalyway, then when I try to use the apple 10.5.4 update, it either freezes during update, gives me kernel panics, or makes my keyboard stop working. This is weird because last time I updated to 10.5.4, it was a snap, no problems at all.

I'm downloading the update from here:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...omboupdate.html

the only thing I can think of would be that this update i'm getting isn't the same as the update I used from apple software update the first time around. also, I don't think I can go straight from 10.5.3 to 10.5.5, won't let me select volume for install. any advice would be super.

then when I try to use the apple 10.5.4 update, it either freezes during update, gives me kernel panics...

Make sure you remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext as the installation is running.  This will cause freezes/panics.

In terminal:

sudo -s

Get admin privileges.  Necessary for the next step.  Enter password, then:

while sleep 1; rm -rf System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

This automatically will remove AICPUPM.kext as soon as it appears in the Extensions directory.  Credit goes to Netkas for this handy while loop.

Let it run.  A blinking cursor on the next line means it's running.  NOW begin the update.  Let it run throughout this process.

...or makes my keyboard stop working.

I'll assume you're using a PS/2 keyboard if you are experiencing this issue.  You need to restore the kext for PS/2 support.  I don't recall what this is as I use USB and have never typed the name (usually how I remember things).  You'll find the information here.

This should be all you need.  I'll guess that you haven't read too much as this solution is oh-so-common and rampant on these forums.

netkas' instructions:

http://netkas.org/?p=50

right, I had heard of both solutions for the update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5, and they worked when I made that update. I just didn't think I would have to do that for the 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 update, since last time it was just a simple download from software update. I'll try it and see how it goes.