Vista, Leopard Retail (guid) and Ubuntu whit Grub bootloader ?

7 posts in this topic

Hallo at all, i have a problem, i have searched in this, and other forum, but i can't solve my problem.

I have a notebook whit 2 HD:

1 HD whit Vista and Ubuntu

2 HD (formatted in GUID) whit Leopard retail installed whit Chameleon bootloader.

I would like to use Grub for booting.

I have read the topic about boot whit grub a guid partition whit leopard, but in this way i use efi_8 for boot leopard, and not chameleon, so i have a kernell panic.

The only solution that i've found is turn on my notebook whit the generic iso cd inside, so my notebook load from cd and, when it cant find the apple.boot, i can select my first or second hd for boot, i select my second and i can boot whit chameleon bootloader and anythink is working.

I dont'n know if there is a solution.

What do you think about (no, ehehe, not about my poor english, about my problem ;-p ) ?

Thx at advance.

M'n'M

Okay. The GRUB entry for your GUID/GPT drive should be as follows: (assuming that the drive with Leopard OSX is hd1)

title OSX

root (hd1)

chainloader (hd1)+1

This is currently what I am using, and should work. GRUB seems to have issues with GUID/GPT. If the drive is not hd1, change it. :)

I would like to use Grub for booting.

I have read the topic about boot whit grub a guid partition whit leopard, but in this way i use efi_8 for boot leopard, and not chameleon, so i have a kernell panic.

I have updated my pc_efi tutorial, as with chameleon that method should be depreciated.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry606752

To use Chameleon with Grub, do the following:

1) Download Chameleon (current version) from chameleon.osx86.hu

2) dd boot1 to the partition you have OS X installed onto.

3) copy boot to the root directory of your OS X partion

4) ignore the boot0 file -- it overwrites grub in your MBR and you don't need it with grub.

5) edit your grub menu.lst file to chainload in the usual manner, I.E.-- my OS X entry now reads:

title Mac OSX Leopard

rootnoverify (hd?,?) (replace ? with the values Grub uses for OSX partition -- differs from pc_efi method)

chainloader (hd?,?)+1 (same values)

This is much easier and more standardized, hence I consider the pc_efi method depreciated.

I have updated my pc_efi tutorial, as with chameleon that method should be depreciated.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry606752

To use Chameleon with Grub, do the following:

1) Download Chameleon (current version) from chameleon.osx86.hu

2) dd boot1 to the partition you have OS X installed onto.

3) copy boot to the root directory of your OS X partion

4) ignore the boot0 file -- it overwrites grub in your MBR and you don't need it with grub.

5) edit your grub menu.lst file to chainload in the usual manner, I.E.-- my OS X entry now reads:

title Mac OSX Leopard

rootnoverify (hd?,?) (replace ? with the values Grub uses for OSX partition -- differs from pc_efi method)

chainloader (hd?,?)+1 (same values)

This is much easier and more standardized, hence I consider the pc_efi method depreciated.

Ahem, I said this already, thank you very much. You don't need a partition # in GRUB if it's the only partition on the drive, btw.