Kalyway vs iATCOS distro

inspiron2

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

From reading these forums, I take it that there are two popular distros, which require minimal to no work in installing: Kalyway and iATCOS.

I was wondering which one is better, err.... more n00b friendly?

My system is P5K-VM based with NVidia 7600GT. Is one more favorable to my setup than the other?

thx

(it was, by no means, an attempt to compare the level of effort put in by two extremely talented groups)

Hi,

From reading these forums, I take it that there are two popular distros, which require minimal to no work in installing: Kalyway and iATCOS.

I was wondering which one is better, err.... more n00b friendly?

My system is P5K-VM based with NVidia 7600GT. Is one more favorable to my setup than the other?

thx

(it was, by no means, an attempt to compare the level of effort put in by two extremely talented groups)

i think it comes down to personal preference, mine is iatkos because it works better out the box than kalway but your mileage may vary, so download both and give them a go!

I've had mixed results with both

The Hackintosh in my signature didn't like iATKOS, but Kalyway installed without a hitch.

Tried to install Kalyway on my Acer Aspire One. No Go. iATKOS installed without a problem.

Decided to dual boot my homebuilt PC with the following specs:

Gigabyte GA-956P-DS3 motherboard

E6400 2.13Ghz Core2Duo Intel processor

2x1GB OCZ Platinum 800Mhz RAM

PNY nVidia 7300GT PCI-e video card

300GB SATA WD Caviar drive with three partitions: WindowsXP SP3 on first 100GB partition, 2nd 100GB partition reserved for OSX, 3rd partition formatted FAT32 for easy sharing between XP and OSX.

IDE DVD burner.

I first tried to install iATKOS 10.5.4; it didn't install the correct kexts for my nVidia card and ALC883 sound chip.

Kalyway 10.5.1 installed all of the correct kexts for my system. I've upgraded to 10.5.2 so far with everything still working. I highly recommend Darwin bootloader.

My point is, it depends on what vendor system/components you are using.

Go to the OSXx86 Project site at the top of the Forum page for guidance.

Good Luck and have fun.

Hey,

It's solely depends on what kind of hardware. Since iATKOS is a "white box" install... the more compatible hardware you have to a real mac the better.

Kalyway is more compatible with more computers, but also has a slower boot time 'cause of that.

Hoped this cleared out some issues,

Btw Kalyway has a lot of drivers for the P5K

Good luck

For my needs, Kalyway worked fine!

BTW, tried iATCOS 2 just for fun, and it wouldn't even boot. -v option showed that it was stuck on "still waiting for root device" message. Disabling 1394 in BIOS didn't help either.

I have P5K-VM, NVidian 7600 GT, a mix of SATA and IDE drives, SATA DVD.