How to dual boot vista with osx installed first

pure358

6 posts in this topic

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running kalyway 10.5.3, and I'm trying to dual boot vista. All I've done is install osx on a clean hd, I have not partitioned the hd. I have looked all over the place but have not come up with an answer, so if anyone can help or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running kalyway 10.5.3, and I'm trying to dual boot vista. All I've done is install osx on a clean hd, I have not partitioned the hd. I have looked all over the place but have not come up with an answer, so if anyone can help or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

EasyBCD

First partition your HDD and format it. Then make your newly created partition as active (Vista needs active to get installed). Install Vista. Before that keep your OSX install disk ready as Vista would overwrite the MBR. After installation boot with your OSX disk using option -s. Make your OSX partition active by:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag <partition where OSX is installed>

write

update

quit

After that again boot with OSX disk and install boot loader and restart. Once done you will get a boot option to boot into OSX or VISTA. If booted in VISTA you might get a error. If, no problem just boot with VISTA disk and make your VISTA partition active, then again boot with VISTA disk and repair VISTA (startup) and reboot. Now you will boot into VISTA. Once in VISTA, then again make your OSX partition active (use diskpart) that's all you are done with OSX and VISTA on same HDD. If any problem then post here...

Hi guys, had some trouble updating to 10.5.5 resulting into a crash, nevermind my problem. I did a time machine backup and since then I can't boot into mac OsX any longer. The problem is, my hdds are partioned unorthodoxally.

Disk 0:

D: First Orginal Vista ( doesn't boot anymore) F: shared partioned (for vista & mac)

Disk 1:

mac partion (marked active) mac partion (probably time machine, could also be the mac partition as I don't remember any more) C: vista (where vista boots from, starting partition)

-> How do I get to boot into mac again? Chain0 is on disk0 D: (the orginal vista partition) but the vista partition I am using now is on disk 1 and didn't have Chain0

I copied chain0 to the new vista partition and did the following steps:

a. bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Mac OS X"

b. "bcdedit /enum active"

c. "bcdedit /set {GUID} PATH \chain0"

but this results in a chain booting error.

Any suggestions on what to do?