Intel GMA950 Laptops/Desktops with garbled display *Fixed*

HBP

38 posts in this topic

well, I got mine to work. at least resolution works. all graphic kexts are stock. EFI string for gma950 and cpus=1 in com.apple.boot.plist and typing arch=i386 at Chameleon prompt. note that I tried every possible combination to add a kernel flag into the boot.plist to boot into 32bit. None of it works. The only thing that works is typing arch=i386 at boot.

btw. I am sorry to say that I'm glad to see I am not the only one with gma950 c2d problems. At least I am not the only one anymore. ..

Well, its funny. If I use Chameleon 2RC2, the display sleep trick fails. I never get my display working. However, if I use PC EFI (Doesn't matter which version) the display trick works with no artifacts. So, I'm dealing with the artifacts in 10.5.8 for now.

I've given up on Snow Leopard for now. At least until we get GMA950's working at least with display artifacts.

Found some drivers here (including a Natit.kext) where I have full resolution, Hardware Acceleration and Quartz Supported, however the mouse lags don't disappear (even worse when I have an open terminal), even with VoodooPS2 driver.

The driver that yields full resolution, Hardware Acceleration and Quartz Supported (and even transparency), but w/ mouse lag is AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext from iPC 10.5.6 along w/ original AppleIntelGMA950*kext from v10.5.6 or (seems to be working slightly better) from 10.5.8.

Paulicat posted a Natit.kext for Laptops using the original AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from Leopard. Does anybody know for which version (I have 10.5.8)? Is it possible to extract this driver from the Update / Combo Update packages from Apple? If the Natit.kext is for an older version, is it possible to use the older driver in 10.5.8?

The original AppleIntelGMA950*kext drivers can be extracted from the Updater / Combo Updater packages from Apple via Pacifist.

Original AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext yields 12 distorted images on the screen. Natit.kext doesn't seem to have any effect.

I'm using EFI 10.3 and applied "EFI string for GMA950" via OSx86Tools. No idea whether this has any effect.

Since AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext seems to be the key to my problem, does anybody know how the iPC team modified that kext? Think I have to do some slight changes to that kext. Any ideas welcome! Thanks!

Or shall I rather use all original .kext files along with a patched DSDT.aml as described here?

having gotten very frustrated with the just deal with it problem of mouse tearing I found an inventive way to fix the problem, I offer my advice, and my work as a try this and see if it works for you.

Attached is the Current Accel drivers and bundles from 10.5.5, and the old Fixed IntelIntagratedFrameBuffer.kext

as well as Callistohal, and Callisto's FB, is seems that when modding the GA.plugin as suggested in other threads for ATI cards, and using Callisto_B006 I can get Full CI/QE performance even though the System profiler says it's software not hardware Accel, the X bench scores are Better then when it was mouse tearing.

here is the Files to try, after a bit, I'll edit this to include links to the posts I am talking about, they are on my home Hack.

*Edit*

Links to the ATI forms that helped get CallistoFB working with the GMA950 Drivers

http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t55534.html

this is currently configured for the 27A2 Displays, and gives full Acceleration without Any artifacts or mouse tearing with both internal and external video working.

Cheers and here is hoping that this Helps others.

Hbp112358

tried your kexts on a vaio vgn-sz1m/b. QE/CI is lost and XBench and DVDPlayer both crash. maybe, as you say, the graphics ar as fast as with QE/CI enabled, but without them you cannot watch a DVD. I'll stick with my old kexts and some mouse artifacts...

Thanks anyway,your method was definetly worth a try

Thanks for the link, I will try & report. But, that's for version 10.4.8, isn't it?

The package installs an AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext. Full res, no transparency, mouse lagging ;)

Nevertheless, does anybody know how to adapt the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext for a given hardware?

Any hints?

• 2 months later...
having gotten very frustrated with the just deal with it problem of mouse tearing I found an inventive way to fix the problem, I offer my advice, and my work as a try this and see if it works for you.

Attached is the Current Accel drivers and bundles from 10.5.5, and the old Fixed IntelIntagratedFrameBuffer.kext

as well as Callistohal, and Callisto's FB, is seems that when modding the GA.plugin as suggested in other threads for ATI cards, and using Callisto_B006 I can get Full CI/QE performance even though the System profiler says it's software not hardware Accel, the X bench scores are Better then when it was mouse tearing.

here is the Files to try, after a bit, I'll edit this to include links to the posts I am talking about, they are on my home Hack.

*Edit*

Links to the ATI forms that helped get CallistoFB working with the GMA950 Drivers

this is currently configured for the 27A2 Displays, and gives full Acceleration without Any artifacts or mouse tearing with both internal and external video working.

Hbp112358

Does this work??

• 3 weeks later...
SOLUTION for 0x2772 GMA 950:

Use stock from 10.5.6 for:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

Install (*overwrite*) using the "Intel Drivers.working" Package:

ApleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (92 KB)

Callisto.kext (260 KB)

CallistoHAL.kext (36 KB)

With this method, I get monitor detection, resolution switching, and QE! *AND* it fixes Keynote '09, which can now play presentations w/o crashing.

Good luck!

omd if u got that to work u have to upload ur kexts ur main ones and ur if u have any ur extra extensions folder or u can just help me out and walk me through im on 10.5.8 now

*Edit*

Hbp112358

it works but now it will only display on a external monitor the internal one dosnt work now just a blue screen

• 4 weeks later...

The package posted totally fixed my screen problem!

I'm on an Acer Aspire 5570z

The original GMA950 I installed only gave me the full resolution when attached to an external display.

And when I disconnected it, the screen went glitchy - trippy - tearing whatever.

I've tried multiple packages which either screwed up my screen totally (needing safe mode or total re-installation)

But this worked GREAT.

Anyone else who has had this issue, spare yourself the time and download it!

(Also, is there a fix for the iWork issue)

The package posted totally fixed my screen problem!

I'm on an Acer Aspire 5570z

The original GMA950 I installed only gave me the full resolution when attached to an external display.

And when I disconnected it, the screen went glitchy - trippy - tearing whatever.

I've tried multiple packages which either screwed up my screen totally (needing safe mode or total re-installation)

But this worked GREAT.

Anyone else who has had this issue, spare yourself the time and download it!

(Also, is there a fix for the iWork issue)

Oh boy do I understand you there :)

After about 15 reinstalls, I finally just got a working install, booted Clonezilla, copied the hd image over the LAN so I could always have a proper working copy.

I'm still having issues with the GMA950 and pretty much am afraid to do anything with it now that I have 1680x1050 resolution (would prefer 1920x1080 but it wont scale that high for some reason).

I'll be making another clone of my hdd later on tomorrow and then getting it to boot from HD (still having to use Empire EFI to boot) then I'll tackle the GMA issue as well....Just stinks how many issues I've had with this stupid driver. But at least I know the Atom 330 can handle OSX like a champ :)

• 3 months later...

no quartz but hey it got my res right, lol i just try somthing else for dvd playback. Thanks to the OP cause nothing else has worked for me 27a2 user here with a a120 sat pro.

1 question i now have both 3100 and 950 kexts loaded? should i remove the 3100 related files in extensions?

• 2 weeks later...