Dell Studio 1535

x500

5 posts in this topic

I have the Dell Studio 1535 with the T8100 processor, 4gb of ram, and a HD3450 installed. It came with Vista home premium, and I downloaded and installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 iso. Setup and everything went, but when I try to boot into OSX, I get to the grey loading screen with the spinning dots and it freezes there. I have tried setting cpus=1 but that did not help.

Any suggestions?

I am downloading the iATKOS_4i image right now, and I am getting ready to try that. I got the boot-loader working correctly so I can get into Windows.

How would I make Windows the primary/first boot option?

• 2 weeks later...

Did it freeze on the spinning dots or did you get a black screen afterwards? If that's the case, you need to go into single-user mode (-s at boot), then type

mount -uw /
/movevideodrivers

Then just type yes a few times and it loads. After doing that the install worked fine for me with Kalyway 10.5.2.

If that method doesn't work, try installing with different settings under customize. What kind of options did you check? What kernel?

If you didn't already, try installing with the vanilla kernel and GMA X3100 video drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
Did it freeze on the spinning dots or did you get a black screen afterwards? If that's the case, you need to go into single-user mode (-s at boot), then type
mount -uw /
/movevideodrivers

Then just type yes a few times and it loads. After doing that the install worked fine for me with Kalyway 10.5.2.

If that method doesn't work, try installing with different settings under customize. What kind of options did you check? What kernel?

If you didn't already, try installing with the vanilla kernel and GMA X3100 video drivers.

Thanks! That worked great.

Seems I messed up my install again. I tried updating to 10.5.5 with the directions here, http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107340, and now it gets back to the screen with the spinning dots, and the dots never stop spinning(gee, that sounds smart)

When I boot it with -v it gets to the part where it finds the boot drive, and then it just stops.

I tried the movevideodrivers, but that didnt help.