How to make P5N32-SLI Premium 100% Working

3 posts in this topic

I had an issue with my Mouse/Keyboard freezing up, then my comp freezes and i'm forced to restart... Here's what I did step by step and everything works 100%...

What you'll need...

1. Aitkos v4i DVD

2. Mysticus C*'s Combo 10.5.5 Update

3. MeDevil's Nforce SATA Kext AppleNForceATA.kext.zip

4. OSX86Tools

(also, Realtek's 8187L AP WLAN UTILITY for those w/ WIFI Edition Board)

** Make sure you're using an IDE DVD Drive to install this or you might get the "waiting on root device" error! **

First, boot up from the DVD and Press F8 at the Darwin Boot Prompt.

Once at the prompt, type "toh -v" (without quotes)

(give it about 2-5 mins for the setup to open)

Once setup opens, go into the DISK Utility and format your disk with a MBR partition, then continue... before hitting install, hit CUSTOMIZE in the bottom left!

Select the TOH Kernel, Select the SATA and NFORCE SATA from the drivers section and leave everything else the way it is. (DO NOT select any audio/video drivers yet as you'll select those in the Combo Update Post Patch)

Once it's installed... open up OSX86Tools and make a backup of the kernel. Back up the TOH_9.2.0 Kernel that's currently installed! You'll need this later!

Then do the Mysticus C*s 10.5.5 Combo Update, make sure you select the TOH_Sleep Kernel, the usb2.0fix and any audio/video drivers you need (pick one of the regular NVinject ones, I chose the NVinject 256MB one for my 8600GT Card (atleast I did that because the GFX ones for NForce Boards didn't work for me, at all... causes lines throughout the screen))

If you have my motherboard and you used the ADI1988B Installer from the mysticus update, go ahead and find it in your application folder and run it... this will give you full audio, including SPDIF, MIC and regular speakers. If you didn't install it from the update, you can find it in the forums.

Once everything is installed go ahead and restart your computer...

Now open up OSX86Tools and restore the kernel you had backed up before...

(This will take you from TOH_Sleep 9.2.0 to the regular TOH 9.2.0.) For some reason the TOH_Sleep one causes random freezes after using computer for an hour or so...

Restart computer

Now open up OSX86Tools AGAIN and now install the MedEvil NForce_SATA Driver AppleNForceATA.kext.zip

Restart Computer

When it boots up, open up OSX86Tools again and run everything on the top part (repair extension permission, update program caches, etc.etc.. just check every box up there and run it... (should take about 5-10 mins)...

Restart computer again and that's it... welcome to Leopard 10.5.5 with working audio/video and no more random freezes...

Finally, for those of you that have my EXACT board and you have the WIFI edition like me.... go to realtek's website and download the Realtek 8187L AP WLAN Utility... Install it... reboot computer and you'll have onboard working WIFI!

I've been using it for about 2 days now using photoshop, dreamweaver, poser 7 and even final cut studio 2... over and over again to see how much it can take and it works fine... no random freezes anymore.

I've tried almost all other kernels with no success... i've tried the following with my board: (so you don't waste your time)

StageXNU, TOH_Sleep_9.2.0(works but with random freezes), Vanilla, modbin, kabyl, Stock & Nforce Kernels (works with random freezes also)...

To date the best kernel I found for my Board is the regular TOH 9.2.0

Also, I don't let my computer sleep... first thing I do is go to power options, uncheck the hard drives sleeping box and choose NEVER to sleep the computer... I just set my screen saver to 15 mins and that's it...

i had the same mobo first, and created the nforce topic based on the experience... on that mobo sleep works :) only if you disable the ide ports... and use efi v8... just to let you know... there is some drawbacks for using sleep

need to disable on board ide ports from bios, and get an enclosure for that dvd-rom, bcoz sata dvds although work, has some troubles in the driver... and 2gb+ memory u ll always have trouble working with large files until medevil or someone else compile the drivers against 64 bit proparly...

read the original thread here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=626130

i had the same mobo first, and created the nforce topic based on the experience... on that mobo sleep works :) only if you disable the ide ports... and use efi v8... just to let you know... there is some drawbacks for using sleep

need to disable on board ide ports from bios, and get an enclosure for that dvd-rom, bcoz sata dvds although work, has some troubles in the driver... and 2gb+ memory u ll always have trouble working with large files until medevil or someone else compile the drivers against 64 bit proparly...

read the original thread here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=626130

yea, that's why I kept it at 2GB to minimize problems, also I need my IDE to work for my DVD drive and my other Hard Drive that I use for vista. I think the MOBO you had though was the 650 chipset... mines the 590 chipset...

I have 2 DVD drives right now... one is IDE and one is SATA... the IDE one works perfectly (CD burning included), where I come into a problem is the SATA Dvd drive, it won't burn... then again i've only tried with TOAST and no other program, but toast won't burn anything to my SATA DVD drive.

Any other good burning programs?