Problem during 10.5.4 update

matulike

1 post in this topic

Hi,. I just set up my Mac on my D620 laptop (Intel Centrino Duo). All was working REALLY well with Kalyway's 10.5.2. Had everything set up, even backed up with Time Machine to be safe! I then got the 10.5.4 update, wanted to update to that, then to 10.5.5 after. I followed instructions from a thread here saying to open the terminal and type something like (sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done) or something along those lines (I typed it correctly at the time, just dont have that page open in front of me now - it was open on my hackintosh!)

So I did that, and then started the update. Was gonna close the terminal and deal with Dsmos.kext and then reboot...

Here's where I think it went wrong - I had just taken the mains power out to look at the battery icon and hadnt plugged it in before the update. It was only 2 mins so no way the battery ran out, but the screen went off a couple of mins into the update. I tried to get it back, the laptop wasnt asleep, but it stayed off. So I waited, gave it time to at least finish running the update, but had to hard reboot it.

Now I get the following error at boot.

Package 0 didn't get an HPET ( x10 lines)

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2EFD1B9C): "No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-39/pmThread.c:100

Debugger called: <panic>

Bactrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x2f0ebf08 : 0x12b0f7 (0x4581f4 0x2f0ebf3c 0x133230 0x0)

0x2f0ebf58 : 0x2efd1b9c (0x2efd4894 0x0 0xbb617cf9 0x4)

0x2f0ebfc0 : 0x19eadc (0x0 0x0 0x1a20b5 0x460fd60)

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement(9.39.0)@0x2efcb000->0x2efe4fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:

9C7010

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar 4 21:17:34 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.31~1/Release_I386

So, I guess I'm asking - if anyone knows what that error is, is there anything I can do to fix it?

OR

Can I restore from Time Machine if I cant get into the OS?

Would really appreciate any help, I've just spent days getting this 'just right'! Time Machine restore would be ideal, or fixing the problem but I guess Time Machine would be easier? If it's 'accessible'>?!

Many thanks in advance :angel:)

OK, so I can restore with Time Machine from the DVD ir reinstall and restore to make sure EFI is installed.

If I could fix this problem - or at least find out what caused it so I know whether to try updating again, it would be handy!