How to install on external hard drive?

Adnan Khan

5 posts in this topic

hello,

I dont know if its possible but can I install osx on my external USB hdd using my Sony vaio fe11h laptop? I know there is a way to install on USB flash drive. Just wondering if that's possible on hdd. My laptop bios does support boot from USB. Please help, I dont want to flip hard drives everytime I want to load btw windows so and osx. I dont want to install on the internal hdd. Its got my vital data.

thanks

If your system does not support booting from USB drive then you won't be able to install leopard on it.

Thanks for replying back but I did mention in my post that my laptop does support boot from external hdd. Anyway is there some way? I've windows xp running on my laptop. Do I have to have some dual booting on my internal hdd? Do I have to disconnect internal hdd to install on external hard drive?

thanks

Hi

If your laptop supports booting of external then you should be ok. I did it once to get past a sata problem i was having and was surprised by how well it worked.

Basically start mac setup let it run until the welcome to mac screen comes up. At the top of the screen click and select disk utility. It will then load all the hdd's it sees and if your external is listed. Voila!! Format it as HFS and install from there.

Once installed you will have to set your bios to boot from external first ( if you want mac to boot first that it) and your away.

Dont expect the same performance as a native install but to get a feel for Mac then its a good way to go. Then if you get fed up of it just format your external. That way you dont run the risk of damaging your xp install. But as allways backup everything on your hdd just incase. Prevention is better then cure.

Need anymore help give me a shout

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

hello, I tried your method and I tried to install iatkios v4. The installation went fine and I got message, installation successful, the system willrestart right now. Once it restarts message no operationg system found. When I hit space bar or anyother button, it reads external hard drive but again the same message. What do u think is wrong. Im 100% sure that it's Reading external hard drive but why it's not booting then???

Help!

Do I need to put some special files in external hard drive to make it boot??