Random restart message after 4GB RAM upgrade?

accorkie

16 posts in this topic

Been running 10.5.1 for a while with 2gb of RAM then yesterday I upgraded to 4gb(2x2gb) and now i get the Restart message randomly after an hour or two. But it works fine in XP.

Is it because of the RAM? and is there anyway of running 4gb? and would 10.5.5 update help? thanks

LP

hmmm, that's odd. I do run it with 4gb of RAM just fine 24/7, and that's before upgrading from 10.5.2 to 10.5.5.

I'm not sure, but have you tried to do "upgrade -v" at the boot screen? If I'm guessing correctly (if somebody knows for sure, please correct me) this should tell OS X to adjust to your hardware changes, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I don't think there is a fix for this problem yet. I have tried to use those Kext before, it didn't help.

Jmicron with IDE hard drive and 4 gig of ram just don't get along at all. System will crash, when applications used more then 3.2 gigs of ram.

I gave up and bought a SATA drive to install the Leo, no more problems.

The same IDE Leo hard drive worked ok in a USB enclosure, no crashes.

typed in terminal and got:

37 0 0x489a0000 0x7000 0x6000 com.jmicron.JMicronATA (1.0.0) <35 17 12>

downloaded the above link, but i'm not sure what to do with the files and where to place them. Thanks for the help

Go into your Applications folder then once there the Utilities folder scroll down until you can click on the Terminal application once opened then type in then hit the enter key for the following commands assuming that you have extracted the .zip in your Downloads folder otherwise you need to change that part after the sudo command you need to type in then enter key your password set on install.

sudo -s
cp -R ~/Downloads/kext for JMicron ATA/IOATAFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
cp -R ~/Downloads/kext for JMicron ATA/JMicronATAFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
diskutil repairPermissions /
rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Caches
rm -r /System/Library/Caches
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Now in the output of the diskutil command you should have seen it mentioning that it was repairing the permissions of the two copied .kext. When you reboot you need to hit the F8 key to get to the Darwin boot loader so you can use the hit any key option to get to the command prompt once there type in then hit enter key -f to force the reloading and caching of all the .kext on the system so it can see the changes we just made with any luck you should now be able to use your 4gb without problems.

• 4 weeks later...

in terminal i type in the first couple lines and i get :

bash-3.2# cp -R ~/Downloads/kext for JMicron ATA/IOATAFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

cp: ATA/IOATAFamily.kext: No such file or directory

cp: JMicron: No such file or directory

cp: for: No such file or directory

cp: /Users/lp1/Downloads/kext: No such file or directory

bash-3.2# cp -R ~/Downloads/kext for JMicron ATA/JMicronATAFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

cp: ATA/JMicronATAFamily.kext: No such file or directory

cp: JMicron: No such file or directory

cp: for: No such file or directory

cp: /Users/lp1/Downloads/kext: No such file or directory

bash-3.2#

does that look rite?

Looking at all the error messages in your previous post, I suggest to use OSX86tools or kexthelper to install the kexts.

(edit: I think they are caused by the spaces in your specified path.)

Good point I screwed up when copying the path it should be like below assuming the file was extracted in the Download directory if not the path to where it was downloaded too.

cp -R ~/Downloads/kext\ for\ JMicron\ ATA/JMicronATAFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

the 2 files in the kext for jMicron ATA folder is "IOATAFamily.kext" & "JMicronATA.kext" i dont have a JMicronATAFamily.kext

Do i need to download anotehr file?

Impressive I screwed up twice in one post, it is just the JmicronATA.kext you need..

Yes, try "I suggest to use OSX86tools or kexthelper to install the kexts." from above post. It is a lot easier then use the Teminal Command.

I have tried with those 64bit Jmicron drivers, it didn't work on my system. You may have better luck then me. I gave up on that myself. I have disabled the Jmicron controller in the BIOS and switched to SATA only now. No more problems with 4 gigs.