Big Tri-booting problems

GRardB

6 posts in this topic

Alright, here's my set-up: (I'll try to make this as short as possible)

HDD1 - 250GB - Windows Vista

HDD2 - 250GB - Windows Vista

HDD3 - 500GB - 250GB for LawlessPPC - about 100GB for Linux - the rest is unformatted

I had Windows Vista and Mac dual-booting fine with EasyBCD. I had it set up so that Vista had its own option, and Mac was loaded through the NeoGrub bootloader.

Then I installed Linux. I wanted to use GRUB to do the tri-booting, since it looks nice and is probably more reliable then Vista's garbage. GRUB had some trouble installing (it was saying that one of my partitions didn't exist). Instead of using GRUB, I installed LILO. The problem is this: I have no clue how to get LILO to boot into Mac or Windows. I'm stuck in Linux! I've even tried F8 at my BIOS screen, but no matter which Hard Drive I boot from, I get the LILO bootloader.

So, I need help.

If anybody here uses either GRUB or LILO for dual-booting or tri-booting, can you explain to me how you can go about setting it up so that it will boot into Mac and/or Windows? If not, how would I go about removing Linux for the time being? Or maybe you guys can give me some other suggestions? I've been messing around with GRUB and LILO, but I don't know where to find kernals to load for Windows or Mac, or if I've been messing around with them correctly. Nothing I've tried as worked.

Thanks in advance,

Gerard

P.S: I'm not an experienced Linux user AT ALL. Please don't give me links to LILO or GRUB manuals and leave me stranded. Linux users online are usually very bad at explaining how to do things to people who never use Linux. That's why I posted here, because I can't understand anything I've found on Google.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't use Darwin because I'm using more than one hard drive. I don't know much about chamel(e?)on. Regardless, I have no clue how to get rid of LILO or get into Windows or Mac.

LILO doesn't work with OS X

The easiest way to fix your problem is to reinstall Linux, being sure to write grub to the mbr of your 1st hdd during the installation process.

During installation of most versions of Linux, it will fix your grub menu for XP or Vista during the install process.

I use opensuse; it does so automagically.

You can add the 2nd Windows install to the grub menu by editing (as superuser) the file /boot/grub/menu.lst on your Linux partition.

Copy the 1st Windows entry and change the (hd?,?) to the correct values for your 2nd install.

It will probably be (hd0,0) based on above, make it (hd1,0) to boot the Windows on 2nd HDD.

Getting back into OS X once grub is working is easy with Chameleon.

To use Chameleon with Grub, do the following:

1) Download Chameleon (current version) from chameleon.osx86.hu

2) dd boot1 to the partition you have OS X installed onto.

3) copy boot to the root directory of your OS X partion

4) ignore the boot0 file -- it overwrites grub in your MBR and you don't need it with grub.

5) edit your grub menu.lst file to chainload in the usual manner, I.E.-- my OS X entry now reads:

title Mac OSX Leopard

rootnoverify (hd?,?) (replace ? with the values Grub uses for OSX partition -- differs from pc_efi method)

chainloader (hd?,?)+1 (same values)

Given what you posted before, I suspect you intend to have OS X on your 3rd HDD. Its probably the 3rd partition, the 1st 2 being Linux and Linux swap. If that is correct, use (hd2,2) for the above values.

apologize for the question, but the 'dd' step - could you explain more? explicit command? what does it do? Thanks so much, I believe this is going to help me actually boot from disk, but would like to know more before i start throwing things in the terminal!

-reeve

EDIT: Nevermind, found it - dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 (where rdiskXsY is x=hd# y=partition. this example is /dev/disk0s2 where osx is installed)

apologize for the question, but the 'dd' step - could you explain more? explicit command? what does it do? Thanks so much, I believe this is going to help me actually boot from disk, but would like to know more before i start throwing things in the terminal!

-reeve

EDIT: Nevermind, found it - dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 (where rdiskXsY is x=hd# y=partition. this example is /dev/disk0s2 where osx is installed)

dd is a standard Unix utility, which is included on OS X.

typing "man dd" in a terminal window will give you lots more info in OS X or really any Unix derived OS.

I was not specific as the syntax varies by the operating system you are using it in. The syntax you gave works in OS X.

But you can just as easily dd boot1h to the right place from some other OS on your computer. Even from windows, as dd has been ported to windows, although I don't think it works under Vista