modbin 9.4 core 2 duo

webb789

13 posts in this topic

i have installed ideneb 1.1 and am using the modbin kernel 9.4 as it is super stable and not had any kernel panics other than when i try to boot without cpus=1, can anyone advise a way of getting this kernel to work with both cores...

core 2 duo 6420 @ 2.13 ghz

Asus P5n-E Sli

2GB 667mhz xms2 ram

Thanks

bump, anyone?

If you must boot with kernel flag cpus=1 its NOT a problem of the kernel.

Its a problem of ACPI (Powermanagement Information) part of your mainboard bios. ASUS boards have that often.

An table there is not OK, didnt harm Windows but harm OS X. Linux have workarounds thatfore, OS X not.

You need an modded Bios for EXCACT your boardversion to get 2 Cores run.

look at thread "modified bios ASUS "in hardware.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=90505

You say you need a modded BIOS? I have this very board (Asus P5N-E SLI), running an E6600 @ Stock 2.4 ghz, 4GB 800mhz DDR2, and an 8800GTS and it runs iDeneb 10.5.5 fine with the standard 1201 BIOS, reporting 2 cores in the System Profiler. I do get the occasional panic but I think that is more NforceATA related than anything else (when it happens it's usually with lots of heavy HDD traffic).

Like I said, I am running the ASUS 1201 BIOS, have attached screens for settings (they may be out-of-order, but I think the important stuff is in there). I have a fairly stable system but have (reproducible) crashes on the following issues: Importing a very large amount of photos into iPhoto (tried 11000, but would crash somewhere halfway, contributing this to new nForceATA drivers), when I tried to install the Extra Instruments and loops for Garage Band through Software Update it would crash when finished downloading (after reading several forums it seems a more common problem even on real macs, the update seems troublesome), instead installed it off the DVD and works fine (something I should have done in the first place!), and Burning ISO's in Toast is problematic (again seems to be nForceATA related). Haven't tried VMWARE, so cannot comment on that, but everything else I'm running runs fine.

I am running iDeneb 10.5.5, with 9.4 modbin Kernel (Vanilla won't work), and the standard SMBIOS for that release (Which is Netkas if I'm not mistaken). I'm quite new to this so if you need more specifics, tell me where to look.

post-288747-1222867818_thumb.jpg

post-288747-1222867837_thumb.jpg

post-288747-1222867865_thumb.jpg

post-288747-1222867882_thumb.jpg

post-288747-1222867900_thumb.jpg

post-288747-1222867981_thumb.jpg

Just a quick update, VMware indeed is very iffy, it will run but the system becomes very unstable, and stuff like opening another app, or turning your screen on/off (I am connected through DVI/HDMI, and swap inputs often between TV, Xbox360 and PC) will result in a panic (crash with reboot text). I've gotten VMware to run the Ubuntu 64bit installer, and the Vista 32bit Install CD, and they run for a while but none completed before it paniced (always when I do one of the above things...). I may swap out my mainboard soon to something more stable on OSX, but at the moment it does fine for what I do (iTunes, VLC, Safari, Garage Band, Photoshop all run fine).

I've had a quick look through those settings and they look pretty much the same as mine but ill double check later...

when i use the modbin kernel and one core i can run vmware for as long as i want and it hasn't crashed yet, id just like to use both cores. i am thinking of getting an intel board next pay day so i can run a retail installation with the boot-123 loader.

I've had a quick look through those settings and they look pretty much the same as mine but ill double check later...

when i use the modbin kernel and one core i can run vmware for as long as i want and it hasn't crashed yet, id just like to use both cores. i am thinking of getting an intel board next pay day so i can run a retail installation with the boot-123 loader.

Just a quick update, on my system running with just 1 core (cpus=1 boot flag) will yield the exact same results in VMware Fusion (1.1.1) and will not make for a more stable system. It may in fact be the version I'm using that is the culprit. What version are you running? Also, what BIOS version are you on? Did you update your BIOS yourself? If so, have you cleared the CMOS afterwards? Tell me what options you selected when installing iDeneb 10.5.5. Are you running an overclocked system? Are you using the onboard LAN (Which is tremendously unstable in OSX if you get it to run at all, I run a 16 euro Realtek PCI card instead which is recognized OOB)? My OSX 10.5.5 will run for hours without a problem, only a few things will bring it down, VMware appears to be one of them.

ok, not had access to my computer for a few days so heres an update for you...

vmware is version 2 and running the modbin kernel i have not been able to make the system crash once and i have tried. Im not sure what the bios is i will have to check, its the latest version which i updated about a month back and i didn't clear the cmos.

i can't really remember all the options i selected either, i will boot the installer back up and check, my system is not overclocked and i dont use the onboard lan i use a wireless belkin adaptor.

As i have said the computer is really stable and i cannot crash it as of yet, it regulary has the following running 24/7

vmware (running windows xp), itunes, mail, adium, xbmc, vienna rss, mplayer, unison, transmission and safari,

i just can't use both cores...

i will come back with the missing information asap.

• 2 weeks later...

well i dont know if anyone is still reading this thread or not, but if anyone can help...

i found out how to enable error logs on screen instead of the shutdown picture after a kernel panic and it seams that my kernel errors all backtrace to a usb/network problem, i currently use a belkin F5D7050uk v3. it works fine with the modbin kernel and one core, but any other kernel i have tried seams to have these kernel panics.

Any Ideas???