Freeware MAC games ports

frank754

5 posts in this topic

OK, I'm a newbie here, and I spent quite a bit of time building a Hackintosh, figuring how to do upgrades and such, as well as fix problems. Now that I'm fairly confident I can keep the box going, I'm on to adding software, first thing was Firefox, and that's ok.

As far as Cider, I haven't tried it yet, but I've been an Emerald member of Transgaming for a few years and know how to do all of that on Linux, so no problem with commercial games, or even WINE, if there's a port for that. And the next thing I will do today is look to see if there's a port of dosemu.

Being a linux (mostly huge Debian-derivative guy and so forth), I'm used to an app called synaptic, or even just plain old apt get, and in Ubuntu as well as Debian you can get a newer more-limited but user friendly app called gnome-app-install, and once you open that up, you have access to a huge list of open-source and freeware 3rd party games and apps that will install with a click.

Games like solitaire, mahjonng, tuxracer, lincity, breakout, nethack, shisen-sho, frozen-bubble and scores more that will install with just one click, all for free (no shareware here).

Is there any kind of download system that can be installed like that for a mac, or at least a place to go that has free binaries like that which you can install by hand?

OK, I'm a newbie here, and I spent quite a bit of time building a Hackintosh, figuring how to do upgrades and such, as well as fix problems. Now that I'm fairly confident I can keep the box going, I'm on to adding software, first thing was Firefox, and that's ok.

As far as Cider, I haven't tried it yet, but I've been an Emerald member of Transgaming for a few years and know how to do all of that on Linux, so no problem with commercial games, or even WINE, if there's a port for that. And the next thing I will do today is look to see if there's a port of dosemu.

Being a linux (mostly huge Debian-derivative guy and so forth), I'm used to an app called synaptic, or even just plain old apt get, and in Ubuntu as well as Debian you can get a newer more-limited but user friendly app called gnome-app-install, and once you open that up, you have access to a huge list of open-source and freeware 3rd party games and apps that will install with a click.

Games like solitaire, mahjonng, tuxracer, lincity, breakout, nethack, shisen-sho, frozen-bubble and scores more that will install with just one click, all for free (no shareware here).

Is there any kind of download system that can be installed like that for a mac, or at least a place to go that has free binaries like that which you can install by hand?

We don't call them binaries on the OS X world, so you'll have a problem looking for stuff using Linux lingo. They might both be *nix in some way or another, but that's where the similarities end.

As far as your actual question, no. There's no apt, no Synaptic. However you can go to several websites and find free games. Version Tracker and MacUpdate come to mind, they have game sections which you can sort by Freeware.

@Frank754 Dont listen to ever thing he saida bineary still is a binary but yes they do call it a .app instead

but as far as apt

check out fink

and if you like BSD check out macports

Add apples X11 app and you can make your OSX very linux OSS friendly

also check out freemacware.com

Thank you very much, Slacker. I tried fink last night and it's a fine system, as I'm very used to apt. And there was a good part of the list of free software that I was looking for. The only problem is that the X11 shipped on Kalyway is broken and it starts/stops in an endless loop. At some point it installed a boot login screen and I could not get any further, and I spent 3 hours trying everything on this forum to fix it so today I'm reinstalling from scratch. I will stay at the Kalyway 10.5.2 version, and not use the .3 or .4 upgrades this time.

Once going, I will go to:

http://quartz.macosforge.org and see if their X11 subsystem works before going any further.

I also plan to try the macports system, I took a look at the site, and it all looks sweet too. As a matter of fact I had been using freebsd on another box for a while earlier this month, to see if I could get it into a "modern" desktop with a lot of work, but although it does pretty much have that capability, it's an endless mess of doing stuff with the command line, and not ready for primetime as Linux is.