Broadcom 5751 for Leopard on HP tablet tc4400 + 10.5.4 upgraded

songuke

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I am installing Leo4all v3 on HP tablet tc4400. However, the Broadcom 5751 ethernet does not work. Below are my steps to get it working on HP tc4400. Hope this applies to the same Broadcom 5751 ethernet with Dev ID = 16fd.

Many thanks to someone known as GoreFish, who made a post here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;p=147065

which have give me the intuition to patch the driver. I might say that those are not my own patch, it is derived from many readings in the forum and I just do the job to make it run, and rewrite the steps here :)

1. IONetworkingFamily.kext: remove AppleBCM5701.kext and AppleBCM5751.kext out of this package. Put IONetworkingFamily.kext aside. You may need to remove the AppleBCM5701.kext in /System/Library/Extensions folder as well, if exists.

2. AppleBCM5751.kext: I made two modifications in this package. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I got this kext. It is a patched kext to work with 167D broadcom; I though it was somewhere on InsanelyMac forum. Since it is for 167D Dev ID, it did not work for 16FD, which is my Broadcom's Dev ID. Here is my patch. I hope you guys can also perform those steps like me to patch your own driver.

a. Edit the Info.plist file:

- Add a line <string>pci14e4,16fd</string> to the <array> section just below the <key>IONameMatch</key>. If you don't know where it is, try to search for the line <string>14e4,xxxx</string>, then modify or add a similar line below it.

- Here, I edited the line <string>pci14e4,167d</string> to be <string>pci14e4,16fd</string>, which 16fd fits my HP tablet tc4400's Broadcom 5751 ethernet card Dev ID.

b. Go to plugins folder and get the binary driver file. Then use a hex editor (I used the HexEditor from sourceforge) to open it.

- Replace "66 81 FA 7D 16" to "66 81 FA FD 16" (that is change the Dev ID from 167d to 16fd to fit my case). Notice the last two byte values, "7D 16" and "FD 16", which stand for 167d and 16fd respectively.

- Go to the hex address 37554, change the two bytes 75 71 to EB 71. As I know, this is a patch to overcome a jump condition.

Note that you need to modify both the Info.plist and the binary driver. Some posts in the past uploaded the binary kernel and suggest to modify Info.plist only. If you are lucky, it may work, but it's better to check the binary driver as well.

OK, now save your changes. Now install the IONetworkingFamily.kext and AppleBCM5751.kext to your system.

I used the KextHelper bundled with Leo4all to install it via GUI. If you do not have KextHelper, I hope this familiar script from KextHelper can help:

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

cd /System/Library/

sudo rm -rf Extensions.*

diskutil repairpermissions /

(Wait for diskutil to complete. It may take up to a minute.)

sudo reboot

Now reboot. You will have an ethernet connection detected. However, most likely your MAC address will be 00:00:00:00:00:00.

Just manually set your IP, DNS, router address as many people had mentioned. You can now ping your local network.

In order to access Internet, some routers will reject connections from our null or empty MAC address, so I set a fake MAC address to overcome:

ifconfig en0 ether 00:13:72:xx:xx:xx, with x is a digit of your choice.

At home, I just leave the empty MAC address, since my router does not bother to check that. In school, I have to set a fake MAC address to get to the school Internet.

Now, everything is ready. Happy surfing. :)

I attached my modified IONetworkingFamily.kext and AppleBCM5751.kext here. Note that this works on my HP tablet tc4400. I hope it works for those who owns the same machine as me, or at least the same ethernet card with the same Dev ID. And I hope you can find these steps useful to patch your own. You can directly make modifications from my attached file. Just change 16fd... to your Dev ID by following the above steps.

Have fun.

After installing Leopard 10.5.2 (Leo4all v3), I want to upgrade to 10.5.4. It took me two days to upgrade successfully. Here are my notes. Please read it all carefully before you follow these steps on your machine. :)

My machine is HP tc4400, using Intel GMA 950 driver.

* Kalyway Combo Update 10.5.3

- Download Kalyway Combo Update 10.5.3 dmg. You can find it somewhere on BitTorrent network.

- Backup your extension folder, just in case.

- Just apply Kalyway Combo Update 10.5.3 from Leo4all v3 10.5.2.

The first time the upgrade installer does not respond although I let it running overnight. I just killed the process. Then install the second kernel pkg in the Kalyway pack (I selected the Vanilla 9.3 kernel). Then I run the combo upgrade again and this time it runs smoothly. Then for safety, I re-run the kernel pkg again with the Vanilla 9.3 kernel selected. Then restart the machine, type "update -v" at the boot option prompt (F8), and it brought me to a blue screen and hung there.

The reason it hangs at the blue screen is that it lacks the GMA950 kext, which is the video driver for my machine. So I tried to restore the GMA950 kext. Many people on the forum used the GMA950 kexts from the Leo4all v3 10.5.2. If you have your backups, you can try. In my case, I didn't make any backups before the upgrade to 10.5.3, so I used the GMA950 kexts from darwin950 project on Google Code. Just be sure to check your GMA950's Dev ID (I use Windows's device manager. Mine is 0x27a2 version) and download your right package.

http://code.google.com/p/darwin950/

Since I cannot boot to the graphical interface any more, just type "-s" at the boot option prompt and go to the terminal to restore the kexts. Mount the disk containing the GMA950 kexts. Copy all the kexts to /System/Library/Extensions using the following commands:

cd <path to new GMA950 folder>

cp -r * /System/Library/Extensions

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelGMA950.kext

chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

chown -R root:wheel Natit.kext

chmod -R 755 AppleIntelGMA950.kext

chmod -R 755 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

chmod -R 755 Natit.kext

cd ..

rm -rf Extensions.*

reboot

- After installing the new GMA950 kexts, I was able to boot to the graphical interface, login as normal, and the system was upgraded to 10.5.3

So the pain of upgrading to 10.5.3 has gone. Upgrading to 10.5.4 is kinda easy.

* 10.5.4 upgrade

(This is from Beerkex'd and OSXploit's hints. Thanks a lot!)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=118326

I just rephrase here:

- Download the Delta Update from Apple.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1054update.html

- Download the stageXNU kernel 9.4.0 for 10.5.4 from Leo4all's forum.

http://leo4all.uni.cc/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=529

Please register to download. :)

Then proceed to the upgrade:

- Install the Delta Upgrade. But DO NOT REBOOT.

- Use OSx86 tools to install the 9.4.0 kernel. DO NOT REBOOT.

http://######.com/osx86tools/

- Use KextHelper (or OSx86 tools is also fine, I think) to install the System.kext. I used KextHelper.

http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html

- Now reboot.

- After reboot, it brings my system to 10.5.4. Done! :)

And finally, here is some side stories.

* After getting stuck in the blue screen when upgrading to 10.5.3 using Kalyway Combo Update, I tried to reinstall using the JaS 10.5.4 Client Server version. By since it lacks the GMA950 driver in the installer, I got stucked again in the blue screen when the installer is loading. I do not bother to patch the iso and burn the disc again (there are some posts about this), so I tried to find out a way to make the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update work. That's just reinstalling the video driver.

My steps are just a collection of many people's previous experience. Thanks all for your posts on the forum.

* I did disable Duo Core features in the BIOS. When I re-enable it, it does not boot. All I get is a sentence "Still waiting for root device...". I don't know whether anyone has successfully enable Duo Core in hacked Mac.

* I failed to enable the tablet digitizer. I modifield Info.plist in Apple16X50ACPI.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16x50Serial.kext, changing the <key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>????????</string> to WACF006. Then reinstall this kext.

Then install Tablet Magic 2.14b

http://www.thinkyhead.com/tabletmagic/

However, the daemon does not detect any serial ports. I don't know how to proceed actually. Any helps?

* And the audio input is also a problem. Cannot output to earphones, only to the machine's speakers. Cannot get audio input via the integrated microphone either. I used the AppleAzaliaFixAD1981 package, which is downloaded somewhere in this forum.

* Hope this notes be helpful. :)

* I tried to post the text in three separate posts, but they are merged into one automatically. B) Any way, have fun! :)

IONetworkingFamily_AppleBCM5751Ethernet.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Hi guys, I am installing Leo4all v3 on HP tablet tc4400. However, the Broadcom 5751 ethernet does not work. Below are my steps to get it working on HP tc4400. Hope this applies to the same Broadcom 5751 ethernet with Dev ID = 16fd.

Many thanks to someone known as GoreFish, who made a post here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;p=147065

which have give me the intuition to patch the driver. I might say that those are not my own patch, it is derived from many readings in the forum and I just do the job to make it run, and rewrite the steps here :)

1. IONetworkingFamily.kext: remove AppleBCM5701.kext and AppleBCM5751.kext out of this package. Put IONetworkingFamily.kext aside. You may need to remove the AppleBCM5701.kext in /System/Library/Extensions folder as well, if exists.

2. AppleBCM5751.kext: I made two modifications in this package. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I got this kext. It is a patched kext to work with 167D broadcom; I though it was somewhere on InsanelyMac forum. Since it is for 167D Dev ID, it did not work for 16FD, which is my Broadcom's Dev ID. Here is my patch. I hope you guys can also perform those steps like me to patch your own driver.

- Add a line <string>pci14e4,16fd</string> to the <array> section just below the <key>IONameMatch</key>. If you don't know where it is, try to search for the line <string>14e4,xxxx</string>, then modify or add a similar line below it.

- Here, I edited the line <string>pci14e4,167d</string> to be <string>pci14e4,16fd</string>, which 16fd fits my HP tablet tc4400's Broadcom 5751 ethernet card Dev ID.

b. Go to plugins folder and get the binary driver file. Then use a hex editor (I used the HexEditor from sourceforge) to open it.

- Replace "66 81 FA 7D 16" to "66 81 FA FD 16" (that is change the Dev ID from 167d to 16fd to fit my case). Notice the last two byte values, "7D 16" and "FD 16", which stand for 167d and 16fd respectively.

- Go to the hex address 37554, change the two bytes 75 71 to EB 71. As I know, this is a patch to overcome a jump condition.

Note that you need to modify both the Info.plist and the binary driver. Some posts in the past uploaded the binary kernel and suggest to modify Info.plist only. If you are lucky, it may work, but it's better to check the binary driver as well.

OK, now save your changes. Now install the IONetworkingFamily.kext and AppleBCM5751.kext to your system.

I used the KextHelper bundled with Leo4all to install it via GUI. If you do not have KextHelper, I hope this familiar script from KextHelper can help:

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/

sudo rm -rf Extensions.*

sudo reboot

Now reboot. You will have an ethernet connection detected. However, most likely your MAC address will be 00:00:00:00:00:00.

Just manually set your IP, DNS, router address as many people had mentioned. You can now ping your local network.

In order to access Internet, some routers will reject connections from our null or empty MAC address, so I set a fake MAC address to overcome:

At home, I just leave the empty MAC address, since my router does not bother to check that. In school, I have to set a fake MAC address to get to the school Internet.

I attached my modified IONetworkingFamily.kext and AppleBCM5751.kext here. Note that this works on my HP tablet tc4400. I hope it works for those who owns the same machine as me, or at least the same ethernet card with the same Dev ID. And I hope you can find these steps useful to patch your own. You can directly make modifications from my attached file. Just change 16fd... to your Dev ID by following the above steps.

Have fun.

After installing Leopard 10.5.2 (Leo4all v3), I want to upgrade to 10.5.4. It took me two days to upgrade successfully. Here are my notes. Please read it all carefully before you follow these steps on your machine. :)

- Download Kalyway Combo Update 10.5.3 dmg. You can find it somewhere on BitTorrent network.

The first time the upgrade installer does not respond although I let it running overnight. I just killed the process. Then install the second kernel pkg in the Kalyway pack (I selected the Vanilla 9.3 kernel). Then I run the combo upgrade again and this time it runs smoothly. Then for safety, I re-run the kernel pkg again with the Vanilla 9.3 kernel selected. Then restart the machine, type "update -v" at the boot option prompt (F8), and it brought me to a blue screen and hung there.

The reason it hangs at the blue screen is that it lacks the GMA950 kext, which is the video driver for my machine. So I tried to restore the GMA950 kext. Many people on the forum used the GMA950 kexts from the Leo4all v3 10.5.2. If you have your backups, you can try. In my case, I didn't make any backups before the upgrade to 10.5.3, so I used the GMA950 kexts from darwin950 project on Google Code. Just be sure to check your GMA950's Dev ID (I use Windows's device manager. Mine is 0x27a2 version) and download your right package.

Since I cannot boot to the graphical interface any more, just type "-s" at the boot option prompt and go to the terminal to restore the kexts. Mount the disk containing the GMA950 kexts. Copy all the kexts to /System/Library/Extensions using the following commands:

chmod -R 755 Natit.kext

cd ..

rm -rf Extensions.*

reboot

- After installing the new GMA950 kexts, I was able to boot to the graphical interface, login as normal, and the system was upgraded to 10.5.3

* 10.5.4 upgrade

I just rephrase here:

- Use KextHelper (or OSx86 tools is also fine, I think) to install the System.kext. I used KextHelper.

- Now reboot.

* After getting stuck in the blue screen when upgrading to 10.5.3 using Kalyway Combo Update, I tried to reinstall using the JaS 10.5.4 Client Server version. By since it lacks the GMA950 driver in the installer, I got stucked again in the blue screen when the installer is loading. I do not bother to patch the iso and burn the disc again (there are some posts about this), so I tried to find out a way to make the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update work. That's just reinstalling the video driver.

My steps are just a collection of many people's previous experience. Thanks all for your posts on the forum.

* I did disable Duo Core features in the BIOS. When I re-enable it, it does not boot. All I get is a sentence "Still waiting for root device...". I don't know whether anyone has successfully enable Duo Core in hacked Mac.

* I failed to enable the tablet digitizer. I modifield Info.plist in Apple16X50ACPI.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16x50Serial.kext, changing the <key>IONameMatch</key>

However, the daemon does not detect any serial ports. I don't know how to proceed actually. Any helps?

* And the audio input is also a problem. Cannot output to earphones, only to the machine's speakers. Cannot get audio input via the integrated microphone either. I used the AppleAzaliaFixAD1981 package, which is downloaded somewhere in this forum.

* I tried to post the text in three separate posts, but they are merged into one automatically. :) Any way, have fun! :)

HI songuke,

I have a HP Compaq dc5100 sff machine with a broadcom5751 14e4:1677 rev.1 nic card. I tried a ot of way to make it works but I'm not that expert doing hex editing. I don't know if you could helpe me with this and I know from your post that has pass long time from your last post. i hope you still have this account active.

Well, here is my situation:

I installed iPC 10.5.6 final version, vodoo 9.5.0 kernel and just selected the ICHxx Sata drvs, AC97 drvs, PS/2 keyboard patch, seatbelt fix and OSX86 tool app and the machine works flawlesly, and when doing the registration part you knwo that when is connected to the internet it search for connection and ask you for registration right, so that means that the nic is active and receiving internet but after the finishing the registration i open the System Pref and go to network there is no nic.

Today I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and the machines works exceptionally well and also I have nic working fine, I checked the driver used by it and it says something like tg3.

I hope you still around and can help me, if not at least I can copy&paste this post to another forum.

Thanks in advance.

HI songuke,

I have a HP Compaq dc5100 sff machine with a broadcom5751 14e4:1677 rev.1 nic card. I tried a ot of way to make it works but I'm not that expert doing hex editing. I don't know if you could helpe me with this and I know from your post that has pass long time from your last post. i hope you still have this account active.

Well, here is my situation:

I installed iPC 10.5.6 final version, vodoo 9.5.0 kernel and just selected the ICHxx Sata drvs, AC97 drvs, PS/2 keyboard patch, seatbelt fix and OSX86 tool app and the machine works flawlesly, and when doing the registration part you knwo that when is connected to the internet it search for connection and ask you for registration right, so that means that the nic is active and receiving internet but after the finishing the registration i open the System Pref and go to network there is no nic.

Today I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and the machines works exceptionally well and also I have nic working fine, I checked the driver used by it and it says something like tg3.

I hope you still around and can help me, if not at least I can copy&paste this post to another forum.

Thanks in advance.

forgot to add the email notification :P

Hi Juan,

I believe doing hex editing is the only way to get over this.

I'm not a hex editing expert neither. But if you follow exactly the steps of modifying the DevID above, I think there is no problem with you.

You should try yourself the hex editing first. If still does not work, I can help you modifying the DevID in the kext file (by the steps above) then send the kext to you (just provide me again the DevID of your card). But I cannot test it. You still need to test the kext yourself.

And don't give up, man :( It may take a while to make it work. :)

Hi Juan,

I believe doing hex editing is the only way to get over this.

I'm not a hex editing expert neither. But if you follow exactly the steps of modifying the DevID above, I think there is no problem with you.

You should try yourself the hex editing first. If still does not work, I can help you modifying the DevID in the kext file (by the steps above) then send the kext to you (just provide me again the DevID of your card). But I cannot test it. You still need to test the kext yourself.

And don't give up, man :) It may take a while to make it work. :)

songuke,

Thanks for the replay. I did try the hex editing for iPC 10.5.6 and nothing and then tried iDeneb and used the 5751 drv whitin, just added my device/vendor id to the Info.plist and whala!!! right now I'm connected but with no mac address and stuff but i don't mind that.

But hey, thanks for replying back! :P

have a good one.

My IBM Lenovo R60 had the same problem.

I always must wrote this after booting to make the ethernet card funktional.

"ifconfig en7 ether 00:13:72:xx:xx:xx"

For automatic setting up the macadress:

For finding the mac adress - Liveboot Linux CD - ifconfig

With Scripteditor:

do shell script "sudo ifconfig en7 lladdr 00:16:d3:xx:xx:xx" password "xxxxxxxx" with administrator privileges

Save as App, and put in in startobjects.

Greetings, and thanks for that clear tutorial!

I have device ID 167d on my NIC. After installing the kext you provided (just adding my 167d ID in the plist), My ethernet is showing up in System Preferences>Network, I can assign the IP address and all other info, and under status it says: Connected Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 10.10.10.56 (the address I manually assigned).

Here's my problem: When I try to ping anything on my local network I get 100% packet loss with the error "no route to host". I am unable to manually assign the MAC address becuase it returns the error "Network is down". I get a link light on my NIC, but no activity light.

Any thoughts? The part that's driving me MAD is I actually had it working before trying some other kexts for my wireless card that crashed my system and I had to reinstall. I tried countless things before that though.. almost everything on this board to try to make it work so I have no idea what little piece I'm missing.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Hi Gus,

After manually assigning your IP, did you check other network settings like gateway address, DNS address? You need to set them manually as well so that you are fully connected to your LAN and the Internet. Try to check these parameters and ping again.

Hope this helps. :-)

• 1 year later...

Do you have any updates to this configuration ? This is one of the more helpful posts, but it's a year old ... I'm at iDeneb 10.5.5 and not having much success (and I had less with other packages), I don't know if the remaining issues have to do with version inconsistencies or something else.

The ethernet isn't yet fixed, but these kexts got the bluetooth working, so that's nice.

WR

• 2 months later...

which have give me the intuition to patch the driver. I might say that those are not my own patch, it is derived from many readings in the forum and I just do the job to make it run, and rewrite the steps here :D

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/

sudo rm -rf Extensions.*

sudo reboot

Have fun.

chmod -R 755 Natit.kext

cd ..

rm -rf Extensions.*

reboot

* 10.5.4 upgrade

I just rephrase here:

- Now reboot.

* I tried to post the text in three separate posts, but they are merged into one automatically. :) Any way, have fun! :)

Thanks. I was able to get my ethernet working using part of your guide. However, I am hoping you can steer me in the right direction concerning another issue. I have the hp tc4400. I have installed osx using iDeneb 10.5.6. Only selected intel video drivers and applications upon install. For some reason unknown to me, I cannot get full screen resolution. I've search everywhere and I cannot find anyone else with the same issue. When I boot, the OS interface only uses part of the display. the rest of it (1/4 of the right side) is black and the bottom appears smeared. Like I said, I haven't found anyone else with this issue. I thought it may be video kext problem, but i'm not sure. I've tried everything I can think of, including manually setting resolution at boot using "Graphics Mode...." command. I also tried editing the com.apple.Boot.plist file and that didn't work either. Any help will be appreciated.