From Hackintosh to iMac

4 posts in this topic

So I have an aging Hackintosh, I am one of those Leopard on P4 users. My dream would be to buy a Mac Pro, but I cant justify $2,500 right now. So what I would like to know is has anyone here made the switch from a hackintosh to an iMac and how is it going for you?

The part of this decision that makes it so hard is that I am use to opening my computer to upgrade things and just have a hard time knowing that I will not be able to upgrade anything but the RAM. I have thought about just building a new hackintosh, but OSX86 is more of a hobby/tinker project then a family computer. I dont play allot of games, but I will want to play some FPS, but mainly RTS and RPG. So if any of you have switched to an iMac, how are you liking it?

So I have an aging Hackintosh, I am one of those Leopard on P4 users. My dream would be to buy a Mac Pro, but I cant justify $2,500 right now. So what I would like to know is has anyone here made the switch from a hackintosh to an iMac and how is it going for you?

The part of this decision that makes it so hard is that I am use to opening my computer to upgrade things and just have a hard time knowing that I will not be able to upgrade anything but the RAM. I have thought about just building a new hackintosh, but OSX86 is more of a hobby/tinker project then a family computer. I dont play allot of games, but I will want to play some FPS, but mainly RTS and RPG. So if any of you have switched to an iMac, how are you liking it?

If you only play older games a mac would be fine because it runs windows. I would just spend about 800 and build a near top of the line computer with 100% mac compat. The gigabyte board i use is pretty much 100%. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112708

I guess i dont see the difference from a working hack. Besides price...

$400 Hardware Recipe:

$33 - ATX Mid-Tower Case with 350w PSU and 80mm Case Fan

$84 - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard

$120 - 2.53ghz Dual-Core Intel E7200 45nm Core 2 Duo CPU

$40 - 2gb DDR2-800mhz RAM (2x1gb)

$42 - 160gb 7200rpm Hitachi SATA Hard Drive

$30 - 20x Lite-on DVD burner with LightScribe

$27 - 256mb Zotac Fanless 7300GT 16x PCI Express Video Card

$14 - 3.5" 65-in-1 Internal Card Reader

$8 - Encore PCI Gigabit Ethernet Network Card

This is a old list i didnt make but things like 160gb hd can be taken out and replaced with a 640 GB for $80. Alot of changes and you can have a awesome quad core with a better video card...