Explain terms and options please? Retail install

gostars9

3 posts in this topic

I'm sure all the information here makes sense to a regular forum viewer, but I'm confused about some of the terminology. Most of the posts go unanswered but I'm hoping someone will take the time to explain the process to me. Thanks!

I have a dell XPS 720 desktop that I want to attempt to install the retail version of OSX on one hard drive, and dual boot vista on another. I've done linux dual boot setups in the past and I'm not afraid of the terminal and can easily follow steps to "hack" whatever files I need to. From what I've read there are several options of boot loaders that will give you a shell through which to install the retail OSX disc. Once installed, the new OS can/will boot and be operable (and you can download updates to the OS directly from apple) as long as you boot off the boot loader disc. Then there are different ways for you to patch your installed OS so that it doesn't need to the bootloader anymore and can boot the OS just like it would vista?

So if that is the correct process I have the following questions.

Which bootloader should I use?

Is the "vanilla kernel" the unpatched kernel that is created via the retail install?

Where/how would i know what ktexts i need to load for my XPS hardware? Do I just search in the forums for each piece of hardware and I'll find a ktext attached to the post?

Once I've successfully installed via the boot loader, what methods are there to make the OS boot without the boot loader? How would this work with a dual boot to vista setup?

Is there any advantage to using a patched install like kalaway as opposed to the retail install? I figure most people would want the retail install so they can download updates from apple without having to hack their machine everytime an update comes out?

Thanks in advance guys

Which bootloader should I use?

Depends on your system.  Check that your system matches the requirements for boot-132.

Is the "vanilla kernel" the unpatched kernel that is created via the retail install?

Exactly.  The converse to a vanilla kernels is a patched kernel.

Where/how would i know what ktexts i need to load for my XPS hardware?

The Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Do I just search in the forums for each piece of hardware and I'll find a ktext attached to the post?

Sometimes.  Sometimes you can check the HCL, find the solution, then search for the solution driver/method on the forum.

Once I've successfully installed via the boot loader, what methods are there to make the OS boot without the boot loader?

This 'boot loader' you speak of only provides certain kexts for the initial retail install.  Once the system is installed, you can install the (those) kexts you need to continue booting the system 'boot-loader' free.  Also, check out Chameleon for more.

How would this work with a dual boot to vista setup?

A computer is a lot like air conditioning... if you open windows, it doesn't work.

However, look into EasyBCD for dual-booting Vista and OS X.

Is there any advantage to using a patched install like kalaway as opposed to the retail install?

Kalyway makes it easier for non-vanilla capable users and provides kexts for hardware in an easy-to-use format.  Keep in mind that Kalyway and others also provide vanilla kernels for install.  Think of it as an easy and convenient package.

I figure most people would want the retail install so they can download updates from apple without having to hack their machine everytime an update comes out?

This is only half true.  Because it originates from a retail disc doesn't necessarily mean users can update hack-free.  It's more of the other components that allow seamless upgrades, such as providing necessary system-specific kexts despite the ones (or lack thereof) in the Extensions directory.  And these methods are available for even non-retail installs.

Also, I could install from a retail disc and install a modified kernel... so the tie to RETAIL and VANILLA and HACK-FREE UPDATES is null.

This was certainly more than two minutes, but I hope you are able to shed more light on the situation.  Enjoy ;D