Montevina integrated video

danskim

20 posts in this topic

I have one, as I'm sure many others do. Right now there is apparently no solution. I tried modifying X3100 drivers just for giggles, and all I managed to do was lock the system. SO...I believe we just wait until Apple ships Montevina based notebooks....which will be sometime between now and never ;-). My guess is we will see this over the next few weeks.

Yeah, I figured that's the easiest solution.

However, I read some rumors that Apple may skip Montevina and go with a custom chipset.

It does seem plausible if Apple doesn't announce Montevina-based MBs and MBPs soon.

Well I hope they do go with Montevina for our sake ;-) I'm not sure what you mean by "custom solution" but I don't see Apple having any where near the unit volume (or any other single manufacturer for that point) for that to make fiscal sense. I would suspect if it is custom, it would still be mostly based on an existing chipset...in which case we would hopefully be able to make it work. at any rate, now all we can do is guess and wait....

The MacBook Air uses a custom chipset, and so did the Mac Pro desktops (before it was available to others at least).

But actually since late 2007, Apple is the third largest laptop brand in the US (behind HP and Toshiba). It has almost a 20% market share.

Apple is nowhere near 20% share. US retail share? maybe...but definitely not worldwide share of all channels combined. And the macbook air is a GMAX3100......

now I see you did specify US, my bad. But I don't believe they are close in US either, maybe US retail only?

So will GMA 4500 work on Apple?

What do u think?

Today, no. Future, maybe (and hopefully)

Yes, I mentioned the US. And I think the data is for retail sales for just that quarter or something.

I said that MacBook Airs use custom chipsets, not a custom chipset with a custom graphics chip. I think they had a custom processor too. But basically, the MacBook Air was never meant to appeal to the average consumer and therefore wasn't meant to be the biggest seller (price and fuctionality are prohibitive)... but it still got a custom chipset and custom processor. It's not inconceivable to think that Apple may have a custom Intel chipset (not Montevina) with perhaps custom video for their much more popular MacBooks (which would be the ones with the potential for integrated 4500HD video).

Of course I hope that's not the case, so we can reap the benefits :D

I haven't studied up to much on the MacBook Air, mostly because I hate it ;-) Anyhow, I would be surprised if anything is truly custom. Customized? maybe. perhaps some different code or something is modified somehow seems plausible. Custom processor? no way. could intel call the processor something special? sure. Could apple have bought up all the inventory of a specific part #? sure. those ULV parts are pretty low volume anyhow.

My point to all this, and I reiterate it's all pure speculation, is even if they have a customIZED version of the 4500 then we can hopefully tweak things to work still.

Yeah, it's all speculation. The MacBook Air had a Merom-based processor with technology that was reserved for Penryn. I don't mean to argue, but what you said basically means custom in my mind (and what I intended it to mean) if no one else but Apple uses it or at least Apple gets it before other manufacturers do (in the case of 8-core MacPros based on two quad core Xeons).

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07...r_the_hood.html

"As such, people familiar with these plans say an upcoming generation of Macs, lead by a trio of redesigned notebooks, won't adopt the Montevina chipset announced as part of Intel's Centrino 2 mobile platform earlier this month. What's more, those same people suggest the chipset employed by the new wave of Macs may have little or nothing to do with Intel at all. (This should not be confused with the primary CPU, which will continue to come from Intel.)"

and

http://news.softpedia.com/news/MacBook-Air...led-76646.shtml

Intel finally spilled the beans and presented the exact specifications for the custom-designed processor. "The MacBook Air uses the Intel Core� 2 Duo Processor and Intel 965GMS chipset with integrated Gfx using a new miniaturized package technology. This new CPU and chipset allows for approximately 60% reduction in total footprint. The Core 2 Duo Processor TDP is 20 watts. The Macbook Air is using existing Core 2 Duo technology with a lower voltage spec in a new miniaturized packaging design. It is not a ULV processor."

Let's hope for them using Montevina :)

I love the Apple marketing fluff ;-) 20 watt 1.6 part is the Intel L7500. and you are right, it's an LV part not ULV. I'm just a skeptic but "a new" packaging technology doesn't mean custom, it means new. But it sounds like the L7500 to me, 800 bus and 4mb cache. it could be a surface mount part, but then those are available to everyone else too.

now it's not inconceivable that Intel worked up a new PHYSICAL package for them. That sounds much more reasonable than creating a custom chip/chipset. Read the quotes you posted again, it seems obvious to me they are sort of dancing around the issue a bit.

Lastly, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I like trying to figure this stuff out. And it's hard to do with Apple because they hide behind all that marketing BS ;-)

and I don't follow desktops much but what was custom or early about the quad-core xeon's?

and I almost forgot the 1.8 would be the L7700.

• 3 weeks later...

I just said this in another post, but actually Jobs said there'd be a $999 version of the MacBook that wasn't spec'd out at the press conference. It just says, "faster graphics," which may mean it uses Intel integrated video instead of the 9400M.

edit:

Haha.. {censored}, the $999 one is actually the now-old MacBook. My mistake..

I thought I covered my bases when I bought the Sony Z560. Switchable NV9300 and Intel X4500. Turns out NVidia on Sony is no-go and now the 4500 is no-go. Big bummer....maybe the new NVidia architecture they use will be more similar to Sony and maybe just maybe it will work.

Yeah, sucks for us. Oh well. At least my machine is stable on Vista.

Maybe the plastic MacBooks at $999 will have their interiors upgraded with x4500 :D Probably not though haha.