Time machine works, but if I my bot hd goes down?

flavo

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

My time machine works very well (kalyway 10.5.2 up to 10.5.4), but during my experiences to discover why my audio interface give me problems, I leads me to an unbootable hd. I tried everything I know (not much), I tried to boot from dvd to do a restore but kalyway always crash, so I decide to erase the hd and a reinstalation of kalyway(only the instalation doensnt work, had to erase), hoping that I can achieve a full recall of TM backups.

For 2 times, in the first boot, OSX ask if you wanna transfer files from another source. The first time always lead to a crash and I had to do a second trail to finish the task. For my surprise the files are there, but the updates dont work (have to redo), and files are with extensions like "*from old mac", "*from old old mac". So, lots of duplicates and 2 users in my computer.

I this right? I want my files ands backups exactly the same.

Can anyone explain me how to this? Of course I dont have an Image so, can I do an image from TM backups or a full restore?

Thanks in advance and hugs from Brazil!

yeah, I'm having issues getting a time machine backup restored as well. Mine finished the restore when I booted from the installer cd, but then my computer wouldn't boot- it's like Darwin was no longer THERE. I guess I'll have to reinstall and do the transfer method you did, bit that doesn't really sound like much of a solution either.

Oh! One time my computer DID boot up, I had put the installer cd in and instead of booting off of that, it booted off my hd... But then when it was running, my drive was LOCKED and I couldn't authenticate anything... And I couldn't get it to reboot again after that.

Also, my drives are now showing up in reverse order in the installer and in disk utility... Weird.

For the OP, it sounds like you're having kernel panics related to using an IDE optical drive, if that's the case, have you tried booting with the maxmem=2048 tag? I need to do that to not have the install DVD crash on me.