EEEBox Info

superduck

4 posts in this topic

Purely as an experiment, from an Apple owner and customer...

Got an eeebox, found out it didn't do what I was hoping on the Linux front, so decided to play.

10.4.8 - no chance, hangs at BSD root:

10.5.2 - Will install without issue on the original BIOS version 303. Kernel Panics on any other BIOS version (currently 701). Though EEEBox is GMA950, NONE of the poorly documented, poorly described tricks for getting QE working did anything at all. And I mean NONE. I upgraded the BIOS hoping to see if that helped the video situation, all it did was cause a kernel panic.

Does EEEBox run Ubuntu well? - no. Driver support is sketchy, and when the install completes (which it does, thankfully), you'll have no bluetooth, no WLAN, and no Compiz support. The latter may be my own haste, as by this time I was just turned off the whole experience.

EEEBox is a mess. If you like Windows XP Home, EEEBox is for you. If you like frustration, poor driver support, even poorer documentation of the hardware, and some generally worthless, sloppy Windows utilities for updating drivers and BIOS... Go get an EEEBox. If none of those things appeal (especially the XP Home part), avoid this little thing like the plague.

Just what exactly is EEE about just another cheap PC running XP Home? Talk about milking the brand.

Oh, and ExpressGate wins an award for being the ugliest UI design yet. Does it boot fast? Not really. The intro screen does, but then when you actually go to load the little OS, it takes about as long as it takes my MBP to boot up. It was a completely underwhelming experience - you could get a better linux experience from a USB key.

EEEBox only has DVI output... so unless your TV is new enough to support DVI or HDMI input, you are out of luck using this pig as a media centre. If you do have HDMI, you'll shell out another $50 for a converter cable. By that time you have spent more then a 160GB Apple TV Unit.

The IO on this thing is painfully slow, even though it has a 5400rpm drive in it. Not sure why, but suspending a VM in Linux took minutes, where Fusion will suspend the exact same VM in seconds.

About the only good thing I can say is that the Atom seems a very capable little chip. Performed far better then the benchmarks led me to believe it would.

I am depressed because for another $250 I could have got a Mac Mini, that is easily 10x the computer this little poorly architected POS is. An considering the Atom is the size of a penny or smaller, this EEEBox is HUGE.

If anyone wants to buy an EEEBox cheap, let me know :)

• 1 month later...

I clearly runs ones of them with iDeneb v1.3 without any pain ;)

Just one thing is that I cannot run :

- sounds (anybody did run sounds on this box)

- accelerated graphics (I am still in 1024x768 unaccelerated)

Didn't try wireless but it seems to works.

You'll have to update BIOS.... anyway... to allow osx installation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ducky,

Fiirst of all, the EeeBox is designed to be an energy saver. As for the poor IO response time, you may consider upgrading the default RAM to 2GB 533MHz. It's dirt cheap to do so over at my end.

Cheers

EEEBox is a mess. If you like Windows XP Home, EEEBox is for you. If you like frustration, poor driver support, even poorer documentation of the hardware, and some generally worthless, sloppy Windows utilities for updating drivers and BIOS... Go get an EEEBox. If none of those things appeal (especially the XP Home part), avoid this little thing like the plague.

Just what exactly is EEE about just another cheap PC running XP Home? Talk about milking the brand.

Oh, and ExpressGate wins an award for being the ugliest UI design yet. Does it boot fast? Not really. The intro screen does, but then when you actually go to load the little OS, it takes about as long as it takes my MBP to boot up. It was a completely underwhelming experience - you could get a better linux experience from a USB key.

EEEBox only has DVI output... so unless your TV is new enough to support DVI or HDMI input, you are out of luck using this pig as a media centre. If you do have HDMI, you'll shell out another $50 for a converter cable. By that time you have spent more then a 160GB Apple TV Unit.

The IO on this thing is painfully slow, even though it has a 5400rpm drive in it. Not sure why, but suspending a VM in Linux took minutes, where Fusion will suspend the exact same VM in seconds.

About the only good thing I can say is that the Atom seems a very capable little chip. Performed far better then the benchmarks led me to believe it would.

I am depressed because for another $250 I could have got a Mac Mini, that is easily 10x the computer this little poorly architected POS is. An considering the Atom is the size of a penny or smaller, this EEEBox is HUGE.

If anyone wants to buy an EEEBox cheap, let me know ;)

Hi Kiwi,

Maybe you have already found the solutions to your problems. Anyway, I hope the links below will help.

If you are not using headphones, just plug in a pair of USB speakers to the Eeebox and it'll pump sweet music straight out the USB port.

For the best of both worlds, try the following link.

http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/the-sound-tutorial

Lastly, i'm still trying to fix the screen resolution problem myself. Good luck to both of us.

http://www.enik.ch/2008/10/osx-leopard-105...-the-eee-1000h/

Section 3.4 (3.4.2 - 3.4.3)

Cheers

Just one thing is that I cannot run :

- sounds (anybody did run sounds on this box)

- accelerated graphics (I am still in 1024x768 unaccelerated)