ideb 10.5.4 performance problem..

urgonah8me

10 posts in this topic

This seems to be the only install for my laptop that will allow audio/shutdown/USB to work... which is fantastic, but I seem to get a huge performance drop with this installation than others... kalyway takes about 15 seconds for my laptop to load to the desktop... ideb takes abotus 1 minute 50 seconds...

also in activity monitor both cores are using a little more than half load when doing nothing.... which is probably the culprit of my slow performance.

Can anyone help me out?

This seems to be the only install for my laptop that will allow audio/shutdown/USB to work... which is fantastic, but I seem to get a huge performance drop with this installation than others... kalyway takes about 15 seconds for my laptop to load to the desktop... ideb takes abotus 1 minute 50 seconds...

also in activity monitor both cores are using a little more than half load when doing nothing.... which is probably the culprit of my slow performance.

Can anyone help me out?

Which kernel did you install?.......I installed the 9.2.0 Sleep kernel......have 4 cores running.....idling between 0% and 3%........XBench score 198...... :)

Thanks for the reply, I used the speedstep kernel 1st then I tried the sleep to find no difference :S

Have you checked to see what processes are running in the background via Activity Monitor.......see here for background processes.......

Thanks for the list, I will take a look at that in a few mins, my boot time to get into ideb takes ages.. so waiting on it to boot n check that list. Are the services/processes able to be stopped or disabled like in windows?

It depends on the services/processes.......I guess you would need to search Google for info on specific ones......

I had a look and "Kernel_task" uses 97% cpu I have no idea what that is and if its suposed to be as high as it is :S

Edit: sjust googled... "This process will fluctuate in CPU usage and memory use as the OS does different operations at the Kernel level. For example, a large copying operation in a Terminal window would cause kernel_task to use up more CPU. Whatever you do, do not force quit kernel_task."

So damn... how can I get this lower..

I had a look and "Kernel_task" uses 97% cpu I have no idea what that is and if its suposed to be as high as it is :S

Edit: sjust googled... "This process will fluctuate in CPU usage and memory use as the OS does different operations at the Kernel level. For example, a large copying operation in a Terminal window would cause kernel_task to use up more CPU. Whatever you do, do not force quit kernel_task."

So damn... how can I get this lower..

You could reinstall the kernel or install another kernel.......

installing with other kernels doesnt seem to help this issue at all :S... its very strange.... (I am trying to use iaktos 10.5.4 aswell to see if it works out better, but the dvd drive doesnt recignise the disc at all... whereas my PC dvd drive does...)

Anyone else getting an issue with the kernel_task proces?

OK I seem to have fixed the problem... but now a new one...My shutdown works but only if no graphcis kexts are installed... soon as I install the kexts for my graphics... my shutdown is ruined

Can anyone help with that... its a huge issue with laptops and especialy mine...shutdown just seems to refuse to work at all