Install Problems, Dell D600

osXd600

3 posts in this topic

Ok, so first a brief overview of what i have tried and what i have. I have a Dell D600 laptop, 1.4 Pentium M, 1GB of Ram, ATI video.

I first downloaded and installed the kalyway 10.5.2 Install DVD, after the install the laptop restarted and went to the gray apple screen with spinnng circle; that screen stayed for 2hrs so far, that is the longest i have let it sit, the circle spins the entire time and the rest of the install (location, name, ext) never came up.

I then moved onto trying the kalyway 10.5.1, i saw in the install forums that there were people using this version on the D600 laptop, and there was instructions on what steps to take to get this version working. I went through the install and chose the options that were in the install list. SES2, no drivers, and MBR or GUILD.. the instructions say that the computer gets a kernal issue, to boot with -s and to use the terminal to remove a file: /system/library/extensions/ionetworkingfamily.kext/contents/plugins/broadcom575x.kext

then to reboot and all should be well.

I booted to the -s, went to remove that file, but that file was not in that directory. Compute will not boot without installation CD in drive, boots to the gray apple screen and eventually get the message telling me to power off. if i don't use the installation CD nothing boots..

i have no preference on the version i use.. just want to get working on my laptop.. i have done some searching on the forums and online and saw people using various different versions on the d600 with the same hardware specs and have it working with on issues. Maybe i am selecting the wrong items during the install or missing a step..

any ideas...

thank you in advance.

You need to change the bios setting for LAN to off, and that will make it unnecessary to delete that eithernet file. Secondly, you need to change the startup to "thorough" to allow it to boot while on battery. I used 10.5.1 and when I updated it to 10.5.2 the usb stopped working. Simple to install, make sure you use MBR, and not GUID.

You need to change the bios setting for LAN to off, and that will make it unnecessary to delete that eithernet file. Secondly, you need to change the startup to "thorough" to allow it to boot while on battery. I used 10.5.1 and when I updated it to 10.5.2 the usb stopped working. Simple to install, make sure you use MBR, and not GUID.

thank you very much..... worked like a charm.... everything works