EFI Question regarding new computer {need advice}

jawnsixteen

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I've installed a couple version of osx86 in the past on various laptops, but I just bought a desktop comp and want to have osx86 on that. My question is about the EFI kernel. I've read a lot about it but i'm not exactly sure what it does. I assume it lets you update your hackint0sh like it was a real mac, which is what i really want. My other question is which distro should I use with the specs I have? And how do I use the EFI kernel with those specs.

Intel Dual-Core E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache Processor

<li>ASRock Wolfdale1333-D667 Core 2 Duo/ 945GC A2/ FSB 1333/ A&V&L/ MATX Motherboard

<li>SUPER TALENT 2GB (2x1GB) DDR-2 667MHZ PC-5400

<li>Western Digital/HITACHI WD800JD 80GB SATA2 7200rpm 8MB Hard Drive

<li>LG/SAMSUNG 22X DVD-RW DUAL LAYER W/LIGHTSCRIBE (PROMO ITEM)

<li>nVidia Ge-Force 8400GS 256MB w/TV-OUT/DVI PCI-Express Video Card

<li>6-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD

The vanilla (EFI) kernel is the same (original) kernel used on real macs without any hacking or patching. This gives better stability and performance. However, it requires hardware as close as possible to a real mac. The boot loader emulates EFI so the original kernel can be used. This allows you to update with minimal interference. About the DVD, I think iATKOS is the most popular right now.

Your system hardware is excellent for vanilla kernel (945 chipset is the most supported, and the pentium dual core is a shrunk version of a core 2 so it's almost identical to a real mac).

As for dual/triple boot, you can do anything you want. Just remember to partition the hard disk as MBR (not GPT) and make ubuntu install it's bootloader at the root partition not the MBR (option during install). Vista is a bit tricky to install with OS X (vanilla or not). Vista messes up the darwin boot loader and makes you unable to boot into OS X till you fix. It's not impossible but its hard. You can search for guides and it will tell you exactly how to do it.

PS. If you can make it without Vista that would be great (easier and better), because Vista is not worth it anyway.