kalyway 10.5.1 or 10.5.2? + 8800gt kexts?

letfeardomring

5 posts in this topic

i just finished building the computer and first i installed kalyway 10.5.2 -- everything went great. everything seemed to work out of the box! (just need to update kext for graphics card*)

however, i could not find a guide for updating to 10.5.4 from 10.5.2.

so i found pcwiz's guide for getting there from kalyway 10.5.1. the only problem is the kalyway 10.5.3 combo update seems pretty scarce in the torrent world. 3+ days to get it... :unsure:

i would really like to be up and running sooner than 3 days so if anyone can direct me about an easy way to get to 10.5.4 from kalyway 10.5.2 that would be awesome!

*i am still not clear on how to get my 8800gt working properly to move beyond the 1024x768 res. the kexts and efi strings and things are a little confusing. so any suggestions about that would be great too.

thanks!

You don't have to use the Kalyway Combo Update to go to 10.5.3. Look up the JaS 10.5.3 on the Green Demon and I think you will be ok. It should update you perfectly fine and then all you will have to do is then run the Apple Software Update when you have 10.5.3 working and it will upgrade you to 10.5.4! You don't even have to do anything tricky, just click update =P

It's honestly as simple as that. Go with 10.5.2.

I haven't read anywhere that it is just for leo4all. I think you are ok.

If you have anything important, obviously back it up. Also make sure that you are running vanilla kernel if you use the apple software update and aren't on an AMD system. I should have pointed that out earlier. =P

It is possible to upgrade from 10.5.2 to 10.5.4 using Apple's combo update downloaded directly from their site. Nothing special needed.

I've done this a number of times using this method:

http://netkas.org/?p=50

I usually backup the entire extensions dir and kernel just to be safe.

For non-vanilla-capable systems, be ESPECIALLY sure to restore System.kext and mach_kernel post-install/pre-reboot. Otherwise, simply restoring AppleSMBIOS.kext and other necessary kexts is sufficient.

For my friend's system using an MSI GeForce 8800GT 512MB, I got QE/CI with NVinstaller v.41 on the fresh 10.5.4 system. YMMV.

http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20