When Disaster Strikes!

real_sinjon

5 posts in this topic

I was happily tinkering in a Quicksilver 733 that I was getting ready for my Dad to use when I heard this pop and an ominous smokey smell wafted up from inside. All I was doing was replacing one of the blanking plates after removing a card and I think I touched the motherboard. My big mistake was I got careless and left the power lead plugged in.

Now when I switch on I just get a glowing power button when depressed but nothing else, no fans, nothing.

It would be great if it wasn't but I suspect this is terminal and the end of the road for this Mac.

Looks like "spares/repair" on ebay to recover a few quid.

What a sad end. These cases are so easy to open that I fell into the classic trap of not taking the proper precautions. Once bitten!!

• 4 weeks later...
I have a used and working 733 board and processor out of a quicksilver. PM me if you want them.

I've been off line for a while so only just seen your post. Thanks for the offer but today the weirdest thing happened. I brought the 733 in from the garage where it's been for over a month as I'd acquired a new mobo on ebay and intended swapping it out. I powered up the G4 first just to check it was still dead and blow me, but the thing booted up. The only thing that seems to be not working is after power on the light in the power switch, it glows when I press it to switch on but then goes off after boot. Also after it's been powered off the system clock needs resetting even with a new battery on the mobo, so something is clearly amiss. Still, been running now for several hours and seems ok. Now have a spare Mobo but maybe I'll swap it anyway.

Any thoughts or observations would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...