Project Overkill

9 posts in this topic

Tell me what you guys think. my 3year old, Intel Mobo C2D pc has crashed on me.. and well it lasted along time, but now is a time to upgrade. My previous pc was a DG965wh Mobo and a e6300 C2D, ran OSx pretty well, but it died so the new plan. I work around alot of Server grade computers so.. i am basically building a workstation that will act as a Desktop pc.

i just ordered the Mobo. Was last peice of the puzzle.

ASUS DSAN-DX Dual LGA 771 Intel 5100 SSI CEB Server Motherboard

Right now i have 2 3.2 ghz Dual core 5060 series processors waiting for the board. This will basically get me to 4 Cores of 3.2ghz , 1066 FSB.

I am thinking the Processors will later be changed to Quads at a lower Ghz but only time will tell.

Memory- the motherboard can only hold a mear 48gb... lol.. i have 2gb waiting for it, but will soon upgrade it to at least 8gb.

The video card is getting donated from my previous PC, its a ATI x1900gt. It works pretty good and will surve its purpose

The PC will have 3 Internal Sata Hard drives, Which includes a Rapter 74gb, but will also have 3 SCSI 73gb hdds in Raid 0.

All this will be running under a dual boot OS, Microsoft windows Vista 64Bit edition and Osx86.

So in summary,

2 3.2 GHZ Xeon Processors (thinking of getting 2 2.3ghz quad cores)

2gb DDR2 667mhz FBdimm (For now, 8gb soon)

1 73 GB Raptor HDD

1 160GB Seagate HDD

1 250GB Seagate HDD

3 73GB SCSI HDD in a Raid (also vista only, dont have a scsi controller for Osx)

x1900gt Radeon Video card

Sata Blu-ray Disk drive/dvd drive (i guess vista only, dont see any Blu ray support for Apple yet..)

Sata DVD writer with CD-rw

1 650 Watt Server grade Power Supply

I nickname this project "Project Overkill" When i build a PC for myself. i go overboard because it will last me 3-4 years.. hehe... video games and multitasking here i come.. lol

Only thing i am missing is a sound card.. any suggestions that are the Mac friendliest, i have a usb soundblaster , might just use that..

what you guys think... lol

Hang on to the processors till you see how much use the cores get. I doubt more than four is really of much use. I'm waiting on my parts for my first hackintosh build, and it's a quad core (Q9450 that hopefully will run at 3.2 GHz) with 8 gigs of RAM. OS X really likes RAM. Eight is proper overkill. I'd call two a bare minimum (as does Apple these days). I have just one gig in my ibook and it drives me insane. So I'd focus on upping the RAM above other parts at first.

I had a good hack, but like i said the thing got hit with a power surge.. :censored2: so time for a new one.. ill see how much use the cores get.. another question, i am lookin to get a video card.. if i get the 8800gt off nvidia's web site for a intel mac pro. will it work in my system and also work in windows.. ??

• 2 weeks later...

Well, due to new egg miss labeling the specs of the board, i sent it back and am now awaiting the ASUS Z7S WS board. its a better board and the memory it calls for will actually fit in it.

The dsan-dx takes DDR2 ECC non FB dimm.. sooo.. the new board will be better in all ways, this board has 2 PCIe 2.0 slots, pcie 16x (8 electrical slot), 1 pcix slot, 1 pci, has external esata slots with its own controller. Osx will be installed this way on a 1 TB external drive while windows vista 64 will be installed on internal hard drives in a raid (stripping). everthing is in except for the new mobo, should be here friday. I also have some UV die(bright orange) to go with the Dexcool GM antifreeze and 3 black lights, with a 120mm fan that is uv reactive to replace the Thermaltake radiator fan.

What Kext files are you using? I had to install the ATI utility, by tricking the sysctl into thinking that I have a G5. Then after the utility was installed switch the sysctl back to stock. Then I had to run the JCCool 1950 installer. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. If you have an easier way I would love to know.

Also keep us updated on the install process on the newboard. I am half tempted to try this board.

• 2 weeks later...

ITS ALIVE, just not with osx.. lol.. Vista 64 is extremely fast, the 3.2ghz chips i had were incompatible, had some 1.6 quads laying around, i have 2 3ghz quads comming

as for osx , still working on that.. windows was tonights agenda, osx tommorow