Leopard (10.5.4) on Asus F8SN-C1

Alex DeWolf

31 posts in this topic

Edit: 9/24/08

I got a modded BIOS, so with windows installed flash the bios using the Asus flash utility before starting the OSX86 install, if all is good the cpus=1 should NOT be needed. I will test this with a 10.5.4 distro. The zip file is attached.

Hello all:

I recently got an Asus F8SN-C1 notebook. Here are specs:

Intel T9300 CPU (have to boot with cpus=1, waiting on modded ROM)

Nvidia 9500M-GS w/512MB VRAM (QE/CI fully working)

320GB SATA HDD

3GB RAM

Intel Wifi (not working, replaced with Dell 1490 working well)

Ethernet (found and working, sorry I am not sure of spec)

Webcam (sometimes shows up on USB list)

Needed files:

Leo4All V2

Kaliway 10.5.3 combo upgrade (2 packages, kernel and upgrade)

Apple 10.5.4 update (NOT combo)

NVinstaller v.52

Issues:

Web cam sometimes works??

1 of 3 USB ports seem to not work???

Only one core being used

Dell 1490 works fine but the menu display shows it off

Install:

You must go into the BIOS and set the SATA controller into Compatibility mode, otherwise OSX will not see your hard drive.

I used the Leo4All v2 with the boot option cpus=1. Then I installed with the Nvidia 512 MB option, without the Go option. After a good install and boot (again with cpus=1 on the boot command line) the desktop came up with QE/Ci support but the menus come up without text. Most important, I made a backup of /System/Libarary/Extensions. Then I ran the Kaliway 10.5.3 update, ran the kernel install before the reboot with No new kernel install. After the re-boot (cpus=1 again) there will be 2 reboots and it will stop at load of ACPI_SMC plugin. Then I powered down, rebooted with the following boot options cpus=1 -s. At the single-user command prompt I typed:

fsck -sy

mount -uw /

cd "to where the Extensions backup is"

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

cp -rp IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions

cp /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

chmod -R 755 IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

rm -r ../Extensions.*

reboot

This brought me back up to the desktop (again with the cpus=1 option) without QE/CI but at native resolution (1440x900x32) and viewable menu text. Then I edited the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and changed the line:

<string>-v </string>

to

<string>cpus=1 -v </string>

Now I could re-boot without any boot command line options. After re-booting, I was still without QE/CI so I reinstalled the NVInject using the nvinstaller v.52. Then everything worked. Finally I ran the softward update and installed everything. Working well and a great display.

I would include the updates and the NVinstaller but they are too big. Sorry you will need to google or search this site for those. I think this is the apple 10.5.4 update package:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...1054update.html

Also I installed the power bundle and it works fine. Make sure and turn off the sleep function.

Cheers all

Alex

F8SNGAS.304.zip

I'll try this on my f8sn-b1 as soon as I get home.

So far i wasnt able to boot ANY version of mac os at all, I hope this finally works out for me

Recheck my first post. There is a modified BIOS attached that should improve performance and remove the need for cpus=1

Alex

All it's Good, I'am in 10.5.5

Still don't work : (in progress)

- Wifi working but only for not crypted Networks i have ordered a Dell 1490 too

- Sound is working, but the jack output don't.

- Fingerprint Sensor don't work

- Webcam dont work

- Battery management dont work

If you have fix some, plz share :blink:

Merci Beaucoup !!! :)

dling the modified bios now, and I'll test it as soon as I get my f8sn back (its with my gf now hehe)

So far, following the tutorial everything worked perfectly, wifi doesnt work, and im not sure about the sound because I simply dont have any mp3s here hehe

have you tested your modded bios with success already alex? i never updated any notebook bios so i'm kinda scared to do this

What I did was to load Vista, winflashed the BIOS then I was able to boot into iDeneb 10.5.4 without any boot options. Wooo hoo... I have replaced the Intel WIFI card with a Dell 1490 mini-pcie WIFI and I did the iDeenb install with the Tiger IO80211kext. I was able to update to 10.5.5 using these instructions:

http://board.insanelymac.net/index.php?showtopic=751

Working well with QE/CI support (make sure to install the nvinject 512MB, do NOT use the the GO ineject).

Finally I installed the attached PowerManagement.bundle, after unzipping the file I did "sudo cp -rp ./PowerManagement.bundle /System/Library/SystemConfiguration". After a reboot I went to system preferences-> energy saver to get battery display in the task bar.

I am downloading and testing Half Life 2:Episode 2 to check out the openGL performance.

Alex

PowerManagement.tar.gz

dling the modified bios now, and I'll test it as soon as I get my f8sn back (its with my gf now hehe)

So far, following the tutorial everything worked perfectly, wifi doesnt work, and im not sure about the sound because I simply dont have any mp3s here hehe

have you tested your modded bios with success already alex? i never updated any notebook bios so i'm kinda scared to do this

Yes now QE/CI and openGL applications run quite fast. If you want to run OSX on this fast little notebook this modded BIOS is completely necessary.

Alex

New to this community and the whole OS X scene. Really interesting thread here since I own a F8Sn and pondered about running OS X on it, complete newb though so the whole install process sounds complicated. I have a F8SN-B1 that I have upgraded to a Scorpio Black 320GB, X9000 processor with 4GB of ram, would there be any issues for me if I were to flash the firmware provided above?

Any tips and resources to get me started?

Hello, i'am Back !!!

With your bios, iAtkos V4i (10.5.4) work very fine !

Working At the first run :

- Battery Management

- Sound

EDIT : I have update to 10.5.5

3rr0rists says:

1. First, download the update directly from Apple’s website. You can grab 10.5.5 at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...1055update.html

2. Before you run the downloaded file, open up Terminal and type “sudo su -” without the quotes. Enter your user password and then type “while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done” without the quotes.

3. Keep this window open while you run the downloaded update and install it

4. Before you reboot, exit the Terminal script by holding down Ctrl and pressing X (Ctrl + X). Close Terminal and hit the button on the Update to reboot your computer.

5 Done

But I have lost the good PowerManagement.bundle, so i get it back from the iATKOS DVD and as did Alex DeWolf :

Alex DeWolf says:

I did "sudo cp -rp ./PowerManagement.bundle /System/Library/SystemConfiguration". After a reboot I went to system preferences-> energy saver to get battery display in the task bar.

After i tested the Time Machine and do a full restore. Used the install DVD to get to the RESTORE option, and restored from the latest TM backup. Appears to restore fine, but system dont boot and the solution is :

ObsidianPhoenix says:

This is dead easy with the iATKOS DVD.

Boot up with the iATKOS DVD, attach your external hard drive, and boot to the beginning of the install GUI.

From the menu, select the option to restore from backup. Use Time Machine, point to your hard drive, and restore.

Afterwards, reboot with the DVD still in the drive.

Boot with the "-s" option.

Run the following command: darwin

Follow the prompts.

Reboot and you're good to go.

Finally i used OSX86Tools in order to enable Quartz GL :censored2:

Bios updated without any problems. I edited the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and removed the cpus=1

Its booting flawlessly without it after the update, same goes for windows, no problems at all!

Now installing power management and maybe later i'll update to 10.5.5, I still dont know if its worth all the trouble yet ^^

After I installed powermanagement cpu started freezing on boot =(

I'll try installing iatkos as our friend about had success, specially on the part that it came with sound already

Hello, i'am Back !!!

With your bios, iAtkos V4i (10.5.4) work very fine !

Working At the first run :

- Battery Management

- Sound

EDIT : I have update to 10.5.5

But I have lost the good PowerManagement.bundle, so i get it back from the iATKOS DVD and as did Alex DeWolf :

After i tested the Time Machine and do a full restore. Used the install DVD to get to the RESTORE option, and restored from the latest TM backup. Appears to restore fine, but system dont boot and the solution is :

Finally i used OSX86Tools in order to enable Quartz GL :(

You're :P

Alex,

A little credit to where you got the bios would be nice. Post #867

http://rapidshare.com/files/148022745/F8SNGAS.304.zip.html

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0505&st=860

Can anyone confirm what audio driver should I use?

Im pretty sure azalia is the right one, but when I reinstalled using this method here it gave me an error message saying that the kext is with an error or was unsuccessfully installed, so I deleted the kext and tried installing again, but it always gives me the same error =/

After install iATKOS 4i, my OS came with sound.

I have tested with OSX86 Tools, the" Download and INstall Hardware Driver" feature. And the sound work with both Azalia or ALC883 Driver.

Have you try to repair permission with OSX86 Tools or install your kext with his "install Kext" feature ?

ps: i'am french sorry for my english

Thx Yelles, it really helped =D

Now I think all thats left to install is the wifi and webcam ^^

I took courage and updated to 10.5.5 too following the guides here and it worked perfectly

Very happy for you :wub:

For the wifi module, buy another one. (search " BroadCom BCM94321MC " on eBay)

And if you find a solution for webcam or fingerprint, share ! :)

Just a note though, It seems not all the USB interfaces are working. I noticed at least, that the USB of the right side of the notebook never worked, and the left side stopped working after I installed the driver from the OSX86 Tools, but worked with the native driver.

The two USB on the back panel always worked.

Just a note though, It seems not all the USB interfaces are working. I noticed at least, that the USB of the right side of the notebook never worked, and the left side stopped working after I installed the driver from the OSX86 Tools, but worked with the native driver.

The two USB on the back panel always worked.

oh it's strange :(

All my USB port are working

Sorry Alex,

I kinda took it as you was taking credit, Though Yelles is right.

After re-reading the Post, you don't say you made it.

Sorry about that :(

-OMN

No worries..oh and.....THANKS

;)

Alex

Couple of notes.

The two USB ports on the right side do seem to be intermittent although the one closer to the back seems to be more stable.

The sound does work except when you plug in a par of headphones then it quits. Any ideas on this?

I show the webcam as:

USB 2.0 Camera:

Version: 9.27

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Sonix Technology Co., Ltd.

Product ID: 0x5a31

Serial Number: SN0001

Vendor ID: 0x174f

Any ideas on this?

Alex

Alex,

I think the webcam depends on the version you installed...

In on of my unsuccessfull iatkos installs, right when you're almost done configuring your logins and passwords, it gave me the option to take a picture of me using the camera to use it on my profile, that never happened using Leo4all

Well, to be quite honest it showed the option the light of the camera turned green but it didn't take the picture (maybe because I was in a dark room at the time), but at least I know that it detected and made it work (the proof was the light that turned green), maybe we could try digging on iatkos 4 CD for the kexts and try them

I confirm, all my USB are working, i'm using all of them right now.

For the webcam, the light turn always to green when i'am in software who want using it. but always black screen and no working capture.

But clearly, as kenshao says, this never happened in other distrib.