How can I make "hd(0,2) Windows NTFS" the default Darwin choice?

timeshifter

2 posts in this topic

How can I make my Windows partition the default boot choice?

I've got a Leopard partition and a Windows XP partition on my laptop. Everything works fine. When I turn the system on the Darwin bootloader will give me two choices (if I hit a key):

hd(0,1) Leopard

hd(0,2) Windows NTFS

Isn't there a simple command I can enter, maybe in the boot.plist file that will make it always start Windows by default instead of the Mac OS?

I tried some boot.plist edits a while back that told it to boot from the second partition, but this only caused a kernel panic. Had yank the drive and hook it up to my real Mac to fix. In retrospect I think the command I gave it made it look for OS X on the second partition.

NOTE: I almost had a baked laptop today because of this. Some time during the night a new Windows Update was installed that caused a reboot. I didn't know that. So, for the first few hours of my workday my computer was running full throttle Mac OS in my bag! When I reached in it was pretty damned hot. I was afraid I had fried it! Fortunately it's OK and getting ready to dutifully upgrade my TiVo Series 3 drive to 1 TB!

How can I make my Windows partition the default boot choice?

I've got a Leopard partition and a Windows XP partition on my laptop. Everything works fine. When I turn the system on the Darwin bootloader will give me two choices (if I hit a key):

hd(0,1) Leopard

hd(0,2) Windows NTFS

Isn't there a simple command I can enter, maybe in the boot.plist file that will make it always start Windows by default instead of the Mac OS?

Darwin will only boot from the current active partition. Cannot change that behaviour. The other option is to have XP parition active and do a chain boot to start OSX. That way if you dont do anything XP will get booted by default. Search the forum for chain boot and XP