PCI affecting Sound and Shutdown?

sunonomo

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed strange behavior in their Hackintoshes when PCI cards are installed?

For instance, I have a Compaq Presario SR5518F. when I installed OSX, I used an old PCI sound card because I understood the integrated audio (ALC662) did not work. On a lark, I removed the PCI card and Reinstalled OSX using EFI v.8 and integrated audio works, at least for sound out. without a PCI card installed, the machine is rock solid and works *perfectly*.

I installed a PCI firewire card (because the machine does not have integraded firewire), and now sound does not work. Also, the machine will not finish shutting down. If I remove the card, everything works again.

Is this an issue with the PCI (NOT PCIe) bus/drivers? Can anyone with ALC662 integrated audio confirm that their integrated audio works oob with no PCI cards installed?

Has anyone noticed strange behavior in their Hackintoshes when PCI cards are installed?

For instance, I have a Compaq Presario SR5518F. when I installed OSX, I used an old PCI sound card because I understood the integrated audio (ALC662) did not work. On a lark, I removed the PCI card and Reinstalled OSX using EFI v.8 and integrated audio works, at least for sound out. without a PCI card installed, the machine is rock solid and works *perfectly*.

I installed a PCI firewire card (because the machine does not have integraded firewire), and now sound does not work. Also, the machine will not finish shutting down. If I remove the card, everything works again.

Is this an issue with the PCI (NOT PCIe) bus/drivers? Can anyone with ALC662 integrated audio confirm that their integrated audio works oob with no PCI cards installed?

Seems like an IRQ conflict between them you may want to try putting the card in the various different slots to see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am in the process of tracking down the IRQs. Interestingly enough, it works in windoze.

My points are:

1. ALC 662 is not supposed to work, but it does, as long is there is not *any* PCI card installed. (I have but one PCI slot). I'd like someone to verify whether this is the case in their ALC 662 machine or not.

2. No matter what card is installed, ALC 662 stops working. Again, this would be interesting info if others can reproduce. If so, then I need to track down what is happening in the PCI system and OSX that deactivates the ALC 662.

3. If installing a PCI card can disable ALC 662, is it possible that it can disable other components, and why?

Candykane:

thanks for the suggestions, but I think you misinterpreted my post.

ALC662 works *WITHOUT* modification. I do NOT have to install the taruga kext. In other words, I have sound out from the ALC662 without modification. period. No kexts, no patches, no permissions, no nothin!

I loose sound when I install *any* pci card. PCIe 1x and 16x seem not to effect sound, just PCI.

So, what I'm after is not how to get ALC662 to work, but:

1. does ALC662 work without patches on other machines, or is this a fluke of my motherboard?

2. If ALC 662 works on other machines without patches, does it stop when a PCI card is installed?

Thanks!