Damaged G5 repairable?

imrazor

7 posts in this topic

Well, I received a new (to me) Powermac G5 today off eBay via UPS. Of course, Universal Poop Service dropped the ball. Er, box, rather. Anyway, the result looks like this:

damagedg5.tiff

Does this look easily/cheaply repairable to the Powermac experts out there? I haven't heard back from the seller yet, but I'd like some input on how to handle this.

It's a dual G5 1.8 Ghz. Not a speed demon by any means, but it is a dual. 512MB, 80GB hard drive. I had planned on upgrading the RAM and HD once I got it. Thing is, it does boot. For now, I've got it propped up on a paperback book. The seller actually suggested that I take a hammer to it. To me that sounds crazy, but it might just work. What do you folks think?

Well I tried whacking away at it for a few minutes (with a hammer and a washcloth.) It looks a little better now, but I also ended up bending the handle up over the side panel. It doesn't matter from a functional standpoint; I can still open the side panel to get at the guts. The problem seems to be that the handle itself is bent inwards. IOW, the handle now looks a bit like a W. So I'd need to get that kink out to make the side panel line up. Not sure how to handle that problem. A cement floor and a hammer might fix it, but I'd also have to hammer on the inside edge.

And yes, macsales.com is an excellent place to shop. But I have a few gigs of DDR-400 floating around.

Anyone know what G5 cases go for?

EDIT: Does anyone know if it'd be safe to operate the G5 for an extended length of time like this? I'm afraid the weight of the thing (and that sucker is *heavy*) will cause it to buckle. For now I've got a paperback under it...