LAN works direct but not with router

johnmelano

8 posts in this topic

I just installed iAtkos 10.5.4 doing a fresh install. I have a weird problem with the network. My motherboard is an Intel D975XBX2 (onboard LAN). My small network setup consists of a cable modem and a Netgear WGT624v3 Wi FI router, all set to DHCP, with four ethernet output ports, one connected to my PC (the Wi-FI is used for a computer in a different room). Previously I had upHuck 10.4.9 and it worked flawlessly, and then I updated to 10.4.10 and also no problem.

But the weird occurrence here is that if I connect the cable modem straight to the ethernet port I get online, but through the router it's impossible. I tried everything, disconnected the router, cable modem, first one and then other and viceversa, but there's no way to make it work with the router. Windows Vista in the same computer works fine with the router.

Leopard, when connected through the router, shows that there's an ethernet port, but it says that the cable is disconnected.

Any help?

I just installed iAtkos 10.5.4 doing a fresh install. I have a weird problem with the network. My motherboard is an Intel D975XBX2 (onboard LAN). My small network setup consists of a cable modem and a Netgear WGT624v3 Wi FI router, all set to DHCP, with four ethernet output ports, one connected to my PC (the Wi-FI is used for a computer in a different room). Previously I had upHuck 10.4.9 and it worked flawlessly, and then I updated to 10.4.10 and also no problem.

But the weird occurrence here is that if I connect the cable modem straight to the ethernet port I get online, but through the router it's impossible. I tried everything, disconnected the router, cable modem, first one and then other and viceversa, but there's no way to make it work with the router. Windows Vista in the same computer works fine with the router.

Leopard, when connected through the router, shows that there's an ethernet port, but it says that the cable is disconnected.

Any help?

Maybe under 10.5.4, the network card driver somehow drive the network card in different model or the driver has bugs, result those kind of problems ..purely guessing...

assume:

your NIC were Giga Lan under windows system , but you only get 10/100Mb under OS X ..then .. my prediction will bring you to the conclusion. because under different model, the cable configuration are different , CROSS OVER / CAT3 /CAT5 .. e.g. ..

apart from this problem, there is another possible problem, if your NIC doesn't have a MAC address assigned under OS X ( bugs in the driver or not the correct driver for NIC ) , then your router reject to serve ( but unlikely, becuase you were saying it will display as "disconnected", of coz, unless you are using something like CISCO enterprise level routers, some of them may behaving like that ..

That "cable unplugged" message is OSX's dumbed down way of saying something is wrong with the ethernet connection. Don't take it too literally.

If it works with Windows and it worked with uphuck then it should work the same with iATKOS. If all the cables are the same and plugged into the same ports on the router then it means you haven't set up the ethernet connection properly on iATKOS Leopard, or you're missing the device driver kext for the Intel ethernet chip. Maybe you missed a selection when you installed iatkos.

• 1 month later...