Q9300 + Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3p no longer boots Vanilla kernel?

Red Oak

5 posts in this topic

I am not sure what has happened but the topic says it all. I have been re installing on my test partition and every attempt at a retail install with the vanilla kernel fails a second into the apple screen. If I change to the Modbin kernel then everything works as I would expect.

This all began because I have hopes that switching from PC-EFI V8 to Chameleon might solve the RTC clock and sound glitches that forced me to abandon the Vanilla kernel for the Modbin in the first place. Now I cant get vanilla to boot to see if Chameleon makes a difference. In hindsight this problem started while I was still running PC EFI V8 and explains why I suddenly had trouble updating my working install from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 (Stuck in endless reboot until I installed Modbin Kernel)

Is there anyone out there with my hardware running the 9.4 vanilla kernel? If the answer is yes then I could have changed a BIOS setting in one of my early attempts at overlocking.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm running a vanilla 10.5.4 on my GA-EP35-DS3P with no issues here. I used boot 123 and Chameleon in my install. AHCI enabled in the BIOS. Try disabling the J-micron (aka Gigabyte) SATA in the BIOS until after you've installed leo.

One thing I noticed with this mobo is that I had to set hardware values manually even though I didn't want to overclock. At auto values, the board was running my E6600 at 1.5+ volts and was running really fast but super hot (probably because my memory was DR2-6400 and it figured I wanted to run at 9x 400 (!). I think you have to be careful with overclocking cause none of the Gigabyte oc utilities will work in os x. I'd try to make sure the hardware is runnin default values while you install leo.

Thanks for the response.

I am pretty sure that jMicron is off in the BIOS. The more I think about it the settings that have changed and may be the culprit are the

No Execute Memory Protect Disabled

CPU Enhanced Halt (CIE) Disabled

CPU Thermal Monitor 2 Disabled

CPU Eist Function Disabled

At one point they were all enabled. If I had confirmation that someone with a Q9300 was running the vanilla kernel I would begin changing BIOS settings to figure out what has changed.

Confirmation here. In fact, there's confirmation in all the threads where people with the q9300 can't get sound to stop crackling in vanilla. That's what you're looking for right? I mean, just to know that it's possible? I've ran the q9300 in vanilla with the values from the ds3l vanilla soup guide http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...iew=getlastpost and when my overclock messed up and I reset the bios to STOCK I was still able to boot into vanilla just fine.

(albeit without temp monitoring or correct sound timing.)

After doing a bunch of research on the subject, I'm selling my q9300 to get a compatible processer that overclocks well, looks like the q6600 until the q9450 comes down.

I had been secretly hoping that someone with the same processor and board would post their experiences. Many thanks to you for confirming that the problem with the vanilla kernel is not caused by the processor.

After much consideration the culprit may be a BIOS upgrade. It appears to coincide with the sudden change in Vanilla booting ability. I see that Gigabyte has just released the F5 bios I may give it a try since the F3 could be the source of my problem.