Where to post HD question - not install related

natgab

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

New to this forum & hackintoshes. Saving up for my box, so I am trying to read up ahead of time.

I have a question regarding sharing / transfering data on a HD. I don't know where to post, this is not related to install pre/post.

I have looked at ~PCWIZ's noob FAQ, but this is mostly an install FAQ. I don't see a setup assistant / windows -> OS X migration section in the forum. Did I miss it somewhere ?

Forum has been very helpfull so far in choosing hardware and getting info before taking the plunge :)

thanks

i don't really get what is ment by sharing

but if you want to use a drive from both OS (osx and windows) you can store the data on a fat32 drive wich can be used from both with read and write (wouldn't recommend that because fat32 is outdated for various reasons).but the home folder of osx has to be hfs+ so it's better to use macdrive under windows and you will be able to use all disks like windows could read it nativly.

for migration i would recommend to create a very big partition where all your data will be stored and use it for your mac osx user homefolder (should be different from where osx is installed, can be done in the accounts settings) and then simply resort all your data from the windows partitions into the homefolder where the stuff belongs.

ntfs will be read ok, but can't be written, so resorting should be no problem and with macdrive you can use it from windows like it's on a ntfs volume. you can even use the same folder for the itunes music if you want to use itunes under windows :( .

(i know about this ntfs3g project but think it's more for testing purpose :P and not for real use)

i don't really get what is ment by sharing

but if you want to use a drive from both OS (osx and windows) you can store the data on a fat32 drive wich can be used from both with read and write (wouldn't recommend that because fat32 is outdated for various reasons).but the home folder of osx has to be hfs+ so it's better to use macdrive under windows and you will be able to use all disks like windows could read it nativly.

for migration i would recommend to create a very big partition where all your data will be stored and use it for your mac osx user homefolder (should be different from where osx is installed, can be done in the accounts settings) and then simply resort all your data from the windows partitions into the homefolder where the stuff belongs.

ntfs will be read ok, but can't be written, so resorting should be no problem and with macdrive you can use it from windows like it's on a ntfs volume. you can even use the same folder for the itunes music if you want to use itunes under windows ;) .

(i know about this ntfs3g project but think it's more for testing purpose ;) and not for real use)

Sorry for the confusion poster_oops.gif,

I have a PPC G5 as my main machine, with 2 HDs. Can my data only drive be transferred over to my future hackintosh or is there a problem with how the intel macs are formatted ? Also, I have a 3rd video/data external firewire (IDE) will I be able to just plug it in ?

Can this be done, or should I just reuse them inside my hackintosh and save some $ ? Will a PPC to Intel firewire target mode do the trick or is it not possible ?

I understand that the apps will have to be reloaded and that I might have to re-import all my mp3s to iTunes.

Just wondering about all my data. Previous Mac upgrades, I just loaded everything to the external and used it as a transfer drive.

thanks

I would say: "Pop it in and you will be in business!" But one question is important: Did your drive is formatted in Mac OS X Journaled. If yes, then go ahead and your data will be in safety. But I'm not sure if it's in Mac OS X (std) will work... And btw, choose IDE controller known for working nicely in hackintosh (and also be sure to had the kext for put in on the road again). And your IDE Firewire will be fine I think.. ;)

EDIT: You can't use target mode from genuine Mac OS X (Apple) to an "generic" hackintosh (Intel based).

The two are completly different, first it's not Intel based but PPC... It's a bit technical, but I must admit that is the based and stuff people don't know.

I would say: "Pop it in and you will be in business!" But one question is important: Did your drive is formatted in Mac OS X Journaled. If yes, then go ahead and your data will be in safety. But I'm not sure if it's in Mac OS X (std) will work... And btw, choose IDE controller known for working nicely in hackintosh (and also be sure to had the kext for put in on the road again). And your IDE Firewire will be fine I think.. ;)

---So, I can put my internal SATA data HD inside my new Hackintosh straight from my G5 ? It is formatted HFS+ (non-journaled). The other internal drive with the OS X, is HFS+ journaled, but this one I guess needs to be completely reformated to Intel type correct ?

I am looking at a Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P31 ATX Intel Motherboard, it is on the OSx86 Project wiki. This has SATA & IDE support.

EDIT: You can't use target mode from genuine Mac OS X (Apple) to an "generic" hackintosh (Intel based).

The two are completly different, first it's not Intel based but PPC... It's a bit technical, but I must admit that is the based and stuff people don't know.

No problem there, I guess that would have been to easy. :D

thanks for information. I am trying to learn before I actually buy the parts.

Nope, I guess it will work but I can give you a hint: HFS+ Journaled are faster and reliable. But I still stay you can plug your IDE and SATA drives into your new hackintosh! HFS+ work also (I think). And btw, Gigabyte is my first choice cause controllers (SATA and IDE) are JMicron and works well and it's know at large.

We all here to learn! :D