Stick memory - to format it or not?

Maggie

3 posts in this topic

I've got a stick memory Sandisk 4Gb and intend to store .jpg pics on it . It comes pre-formatted for Windows.

If I format it for Mac with DiskUtility, would it be possible to open .jpg files from that Mac formated Sandisk with Windows based computer without any special software instalation onto Windows machine?

Or perhaps I may format half of Sandisk for Mac and leave the other half formatted for Windows?

What is the best way to make sure this stick memory Sandisk can be opened in both Mac and Windows computers without complications?

Thanks for any practical tip!

Mag.

No need to do that. Just leave it as it is.

I'm assuming it's in fat32 format? If that's the case then leave it cos fat32 can be read and written by every os.

If u format it as NTFS you'll bump into trouble accessing it in your mac (u can use a program to fix this but it's annoying)

if u format it as HFS+ you'll bump into trouble accessing it in windows (" " same as above)

and if you format it in anything other than fat32, most likely your camera(if you're using one with the card) won't be able to access/write to it anymore.

If you're just using it for pics, there's no reason to format it into anything else but fat32.