Comp will not recognize new SATA HD. Please help!

Milwbuck

2 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me with a problem I having. First of all Im not much of a computer guy, I know enough usually to get me by most of the time but not in this case. I own a dell xps 400 computer, I recently bought a second hard drive (WD Caviar GP 500GB, Internal) looking to add some storage space to the computer. I went to install the second hard drive in addition to the one currently in there. It came with an install cd in which I use to do step one ( which is basically instructions on how to install the HD after turning the comp. off then rebooting.) After I installed the HD and rebooted the computer it still did not recognize that there was a second HD. I checked the wires I dont know how many times, rebooted plenty of times and did things like the F2 setup on start up and browsed around in control panel and nothing that I know how to do seems to work. If anybody out there can, please help!

Does it show in BIOS?

If so, it might just need formatting to work in Windows. If you're on XP, Right click on My Computer, Click Management and go to Disk Management. If it's Vista, right Click on Computer, Go to Management and then Disk Management in the left hand tree. There should be an 'unknown' partition on an unnamed disk which is your new drive, right click it and click Format. Format it to NTFS and give it a label, and this will take a while on a 500gb disk, so be patient. Hope this helps!