Installing from USB drive?

roflsauce

13 posts in this topic

I'm interested in trying to put OS X on my Thinkpad x60 tablet. However, it's got no optical drive, and that complicates things greatly with installing new OSes. I can't seem to find much about installing OS X *from* a USB drive. If anyone could point me somewhere helpful I'd really appreciate it.

I had the same question a couple of weeks ago, and after some research and help from BlackCH I managed to create a Leo4allv3 installer on my USB drive  :D

Clickie: Forum thread

Basically you just follow the guide on the link in the first post, then download OSX86tools by pcwiz and run it, click on "Install EFI/Run FDISK" and use it on the partition on the external drive. Works like a charm! It takes me about 5minutes to install it from my lacie 1.8" external drive  :unsure: Maybe I'll write a complete guide on it when I got time

• 3 weeks later...

Can you list the components in your PC? The problem may be incompability with the motherboard, but it's kinda hard to know when we dont know what hardware you got :-)

Can you list the components in your PC? The problem may be incompability with the motherboard, but it's kinda hard to know when we dont know what hardware you got :-)

It's a Thinkpad x60t. 1.5ghz C2D, 12.1" w/1400x1050, 2gb RAM, 80gbHDD, GMA950, Intel 3945 wifi, etc.

Copied from thinkwiki:

ThinkPad X60 Tablet

This pages gives an overview of all ThinkPad X60 Tablet related topics.

Standard Features

I'm fairly sure the step you're missing is simply running the chameleon installer on your usb stick.. works for me every time. if that still fails go over making sure the partition is set active, and primary in the case of MBR (I generally use GUID).