best motherboard and gfx card for hackingtosh workstation?

6 posts in this topic

hello

I have a friend who wants to build a hackintosh workstation for video editing. He is going to be using the hackint0sh to edit videos using final cut pro. I was wondering what the best motherboard would be for this workstation where all of the parts work, basically sound and stuff. It has to be a core 2 quad 45nm supported motherboard, preferably an Asus or Gigabyte.

also, what would be the best video card? I know the nvidia 8800 series and support very well by leopard natively and that there are hacked drivers. or would an ati be best?

what are you thoughts?

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3X boards are very well supported, and support the 45nm processors. (where the X is one of P, R, L, and perhaps others). For graphics, an 8800 based card will work smashingly. I've also heard of ATi cards working, but have no personal experience trying to get ATi cards to work.

I don't think FCP is as hungry for GPU power as Motion or After Effects is. I have had great luck on FCP and Motion so far with the 8800gt. and it works with gfx-efi strings without any mussing about in hyperspace.. er .. without nv injectors. use osX86tools or EFI studio to get them real easy. My ultimate test in motion is to make a super particle out of hd footage with the primatte rt filter on it, and see what the lag is. and the 8800gt with 512mb ddr2 outdoes my 9800 ati with 256mb ddr. Of course x-bench would probably be a better test.... :rolleyes:

Also, is this "friend" really you?